How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve?

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Greetings All,
I recently had my well pump, piping, and wiring replaced. I had intended to buy a Cycle Stop Valve and have it installed when I replaced my pump this coming summer. My pump failed ahead of schedule though. I called the guy who replaced my pump and asked him about pulling the pump he just installed to install the valve. He really doesn't want to do the job but does agree that the Cycle Stop Valve is a good idea. I can call someone else to pull the pump and pipe but am thinking about doing it myself. My well is only 60 feet deep and now has plastic pipe. To install the valve I would need to pull the pipe up about 10 feet, cut and thread the PVC, install the valve, and then lower the whole mess back down the hole. I am pretty sure the pipe is one inch and the valve is 1/14 so I will need reducers. I could glue reducers but I am worried the glue joint may fail. It should not but I am worried I may goof it. I may have the dies to thread the pipe and if I do then that's what I would do. If I don't, then I will need to use glue. Anyway, just how hard would this be? And can I trust glue? I can use the bucket on my tractor to attach a winch or a come along and then pull the stuff up to do the work.
Thanks,
Eric

i

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #2  
I thought they had a model that could be installed above ground before your tank, in my case in the basement.

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #3  
I have never heard of a cycle stop valve before so I search the internet. The descriptions I read sound like a device I would not want in my system. However, when it comes to pulling a well pump, I pulled my well pump and replaced it. The pipes were 20 Schedule 80 PVC. My well is 180 feet. I used the loader on a backhoe to pull each section and unthread them. I built clamps out of 2x4s to hold the pipe from dropping back down.

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #4  
Above ground makes things a whole lot simpler.... Out here in the west at least in my area we dont use "Cycle Stop Valves" nor pitless connection... Most common control is 40PSI cut in, 60PSI cut out pressure switch.... All controls and such are above casing/well head...

Last edited:
   / How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #5  
The Cycle Stop Valve I installed on my system was just before the the pressure tank in my basement. There was no need to pull the pump and it was pretty easy to install. The valves work by adding back pressure to your pump at a pressure you set so the pressure can't reach the upper limit of the pressure switch. This keeps your pump running while your water is flowing. Well pumps are centrifugal pumps so there is no problem with the back pressure. Makes your shower experience better as the water pressure stays constant. Once you shut off flow the valve stops performing and the pump can continue on to the upper cut off pressure and shut the pump off.

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #6  
I installed mine in my shop some 150’ from the well.
IMG_1362.JPG

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #8  
   / How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #9  
I'd recommend the electronic phase converter that slows the pump rather than above that restricts the pump. constant pressure and installed at the pressure switch ( instead of)
Franklin Electric SubDrive

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve?
I'd recommend the electronic phase converter that slows the pump rather than above that restricts the pump. constant pressure and installed at the pressure switch ( instead of)
Franklin Electric SubDrive

Not a chance. I have much experience with VFDs. They are great for some stuff, like the spindle drives in my CNC machines. But way too complex, failure prone, and expensive for a well serving one residence. Besides, I just put a new pump down the hole. Using a VFD would require a 3 phase pump and mine is single phase. And, the CSV also provides constant pressure, doesn't harm the pump or motor, costs less than a hundred bucks, and my well pump supplier and installer says a CSV is a good idea.
Eric