Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts?

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #21  
I'm open to suggestions or criticisms and thoughts. Just an idea I had running through my head.
For me, during a snowstorm or directly after is when I really want my snow removal equipment to be in top form and fully operational. A plywood plow on a tractor that size is only going to last until you hit an unseen rock, curb, crack or other obstruction, at which point you'll be making a new one. If that's ok, and moving snow is more of a hobby, it'll work for a little while.

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #22  
I've had numerous makeshift plows in my life. Currently I use a Case 580 Super N with no snow equipment, just a bucket.
In my youth we had a different climate. 1970/1971 we had enough snow to ride snowmobiles onto the roof of a high elevation 1-1/2 story camp near here. Recent years not so much. I plow fewer driveways now.

Worst plow rig I've had was a Fisher blade mounted instead of the bucket on a farm tractor. It was constantly snagging on something & the tractor tried to climb over the plow.
A snow plow must float on the ground. The push frame must pivot freely & pivot near the ground.

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #23  
Grandfather used wooden homemade snowplow on the front of his Alice Chalmers B for many years, seemed to work pretty decent. Not sure exactly how he raised and lowered the plow but it was some kind of homemade lever system.

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #24  
Interesting conversations. Makes me glad I live in Texas!

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #25  
>I have a Kubota MX6000 cab tractor. Normally I use a 7' rear blade for snow plowing. However, it is a pain to be looking behind you all the time. What do you guys think >of making a wooden front plow?
Not to sound negative, but I can't imagine it would work for any real plowing. I could see it falling apart on the first snow bank you push into. Plowing has tremendous forces involved. Wood just can't handle it. I think what the other guy did with the door was just mount it over his loader bucket. The bucket took all the force, and the door just prevented it from filling with snow. Would be way easier to make a mount for the loader with a real plow that you can buy used.

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #27  
Just a cheap truck (electric winch) plow that I found for sale $150. Have to say I love the way it works, manual angle, but no complaints. Tried the blade mounted directly to the loader arms, wasn't happy with the float, this setup however works excellent.

Attachments

• 20191020_132105.jpg
    20191020_132105.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 20200223_134922_optimized.jpg
    20200223_134922_optimized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 164
   / Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #28  
Plows take a lot of force. I don’t think a wooden plow would survive very long. I attached a 7.5’ plow to a SSQA plate. Has hydraulic blade angle adjustment. Plow hangs from a chain so it floats to follow the driveway nicely. Paid $100 for the plow. Painted it up and it looks and works great.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpeg
    IMG_1561.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 99
   / Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #29  
Don't waste your time with wood find a metal one

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #30  
I have a Kubota MX6000 cab tractor. Normally I use a 7' rear blade for snow plowing. However, it is a pain to be looking behind you all the time. What do you guys think of making a wooden front plow?

Here's what I'm thinking:
1.) Buy a 1/4" SSQA metal plate
2.) Buy a 4x8' sheet of 5/8" flooring plywood ; cut it in half the long way for two sheets of 2' x 8'
3.) Using large thick washers and heavy duty bolts, bolt the doubled-up sheets of plywood to the SSQA plate. Next, screw a couple of 2x4x8 boards to the plywood "plow" just above and below the plate, for some additional rigidity.
4.) Use a couple of pieces of angle iron 8' long - one on the back and one on the top, bolted together through the wood at the bottom, as a cutting edge of sorts and to protect the wood.
5.) Paint everything for a bit of waterproofing effect

Obviously this "plow" might now last for more than a season or two, but the only thing needing to be replaced would be the wood. It seems like minimal effort to have a functioning front plow. A couple of wooden wings on the front would essentially create a snow pusher. The whole setup would be light enough to where the wood would just break before any loader arms got bent or anything like that, but still heavy enough to put the loader in "float" and scrape the snow.

I'm open to suggestions or criticisms and thoughts. Just an idea I had running through my head.
Have you thought about installing in a backup camera that will point at the rear blade? They are cheep and you can wire them to stay on all the time. That way you can monitor the blade by looking at the screen when looking forward.