Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts?

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #41  
I have not seen any used snow blades with SSQA for cheap money at all.
I actually have a 9' Fisher hydraulic angle plow that I could weld a SSQA plate to, but I think that's a bit too heavy for my tractor and risking bending the arms, despite the plow having a trip edge. One sheet of 5/8 Advantech is $53 and the SSQA plate is about $120 shipped. The angle iron might run me $75 for the two pieces, plus a few bolts and washers. I don't think I could have a functioning plow for less than $250.
This is what I used to mount my fisher plow to my tractor. Works perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_9806.jpg
    IMG_9806.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9779.jpg
    IMG_9779.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
   / Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #42  
I think it will destroy itself in short order by scraping against the ground. For the same amount of work, try this. Adapt a 3 point quick hitch (think Harbor Freight) to your loader, reverse your rear blade and mount it on the front. (I assume your blade rotates 360 degrees.)

I think I have the best solution. I found a used 60 inch ATV blade for $100 and frame mounted it. Works like a charm.
This is the answer 👍
Put loader in “float” with blade reversed no need for a trip.
Many other uses- attach boom pole and set trusses or pond scoop for ditch clearing etc.

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #44  
I have a quick hitch that I can pick up with my SSQA and I have mounted my box blade up front, but only for pulling snow away from buildings when I use the snow blower. Sure don't want a bent ram from pushing it.

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #45  
I have a Kubota MX6000 cab tractor. Normally I use a 7' rear blade for snow plowing. However, it is a pain to be looking behind you all the time. What do you guys think of making a wooden front plow?

Here's what I'm thinking:
1.) Buy a 1/4" SSQA metal plate
2.) Buy a 4x8' sheet of 5/8" flooring plywood ; cut it in half the long way for two sheets of 2' x 8'
3.) Using large thick washers and heavy duty bolts, bolt the doubled-up sheets of plywood to the SSQA plate. Next, screw a couple of 2x4x8 boards to the plywood "plow" just above and below the plate, for some additional rigidity.
4.) Use a couple of pieces of angle iron 8' long - one on the back and one on the top, bolted together through the wood at the bottom, as a cutting edge of sorts and to protect the wood.
5.) Paint everything for a bit of waterproofing effect

Obviously this "plow" might now last for more than a season or two, but the only thing needing to be replaced would be the wood. It seems like minimal effort to have a functioning front plow. A couple of wooden wings on the front would essentially create a snow pusher. The whole setup would be light enough to where the wood would just break before any loader arms got bent or anything like that, but still heavy enough to put the loader in "float" and scrape the snow.

I'm open to suggestions or criticisms and thoughts. Just an idea I had running through my head.
I have a Kubota MX6000 cab tractor. Normally I use a 7' rear blade for snow plowing. However, it is a pain to be looking behind you all the time. What do you guys think of making a wooden front plow?

2.) Buy a 4x8' sheet of 5/8" flooring plywood ; cut it in half the long way for two sheets of 2' x 8'
3.) Using large thick washers and heavy duty bolts, bolt the doubled-up sheets of plywood to the SSQA plate. Next, screw a couple of 2x4x8 boards to the plywood "plow" just above and below the plate, for some additional rigidity.
4.) Use a couple of pieces of angle iron 8' long - one on the back and one on the top, bolted together through the wood at the bottom, as a cutting edge of sorts and to protect the wood.

Obviously this "plow" might now last for more than a season or two, but the only thing needing to be replaced would be the wood. It seems like minimal effort to have a functioning front plow. A couple of wooden wings on the front would essentially create a snow pusher. The whole setup would be light enough to where the wood would just break before any loader arms got bent or anything like that, but still heavy enough to put the loader in "float" and scrape the snow.

I'm open to suggestions or criticisms and thoughts. Just an idea I had running through my head.
I have a 9 ft section of 30 inch zero friction pipe that I use on the loader arms. I built sliding lower mounts so it “floats” thus no need for springs. It attaches to my bucket cylinders so I can roll it way forward and backblade where needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6629.jpeg
    IMG_6629.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6625.jpeg
    IMG_6625.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 51
   / Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #46  

IMG_0773.jpeg
IMG_0772.jpeg

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #47  
My dad had a wooden v plow on a farmall F20. Only used it when the drifts got really deep. I was only a toddler so I don’t remember details.

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #48  
Buy a cheap plow? Not around here.

1700154031670.png

Bruce

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #49  
The only issue with fix plow is the word fix, might not be a issue for you but a snow plow as trip springs that prevent shock and damaged... think about what will happen to that 2x4 when it hit something rigid.

1700155053989.png

/ Homemade wooden snowplow - thoughts? #50  

Some years back I fitted a friend's jeep with a 1/2 sheet of plywood so he could use it as a plow, Nothing fancy. No metal edges. I worked good for him. His driveway is only 50 feet long so it did not get a ton of use.