Help with PTO Problem -- Switch? L5740

/ Help with PTO Problem -- Switch? L5740 #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I hooked up my wood chipper, ran it briefly to check everything, then drove tractor to my neighbors. Engine was running, started PTO while sitting on seat, PTO indicator was on but PTO did not turn. Messed around and eventually made the mistake of shutting off the tractor. Now it will not start, I think because it thinks the PTO is actuated. (PTO indicator is ON whenever ignition is ON.) Two things are puzzling me: 1) When I turn the ignition on, the Oil Pressure and Battery indicators are always lit along with the PTO. 2) If the PTO switch failed in the ON position, why didn't the PTO engage before i shut the tractor off?

Would someone be willing to try starting their tractor with PTO switch engaged and tell me if the Oil Pressure and Battery indicators come ON? Or do I have some other computer/sensor issue?

Thanks for any help/ideas.

/ Help with PTO Problem -- Switch? L5740 #2  
Would someone be willing to try starting their tractor with PTO switch engaged and tell me if the Oil Pressure and Battery indicators come ON? Or do I have some other computer/sensor issue?

Thanks for any help/ideas.

On my 60 series tractor the battery and oil lights remain on after the lamp check completes, whether the PTO switch is engaged or not.
With the PTO engaged, the PTO light is also on and when the key is turned to the start position the panel complains about the PTO being engaged. So to me it sounds like your display is operating correctly and that the PTO switch is bad.
Hope that helps!

/ Help with PTO Problem -- Switch? L5740
PTO switch checked out OK. The 5A fuse for "Key Stop" was blown. I replaced that and the tractor started & PTO operated normally for the two hours it took to chip my neighbor's stuff. Apparently that 5A fuse circuit supplies the shut-off solenoid, the PTO circuit, and the clutch safety switch. But I don't know why the fuse blew and won't be surprised if it happens again. Either way at least I got my tractor back to my place.

/ Help with PTO Problem -- Switch? L5740 #4  
With most Grand Ls if you have a PTO light on when it is not supposed to be it is a good idea to check the Keystop Fuse as it may be blown.

/ Help with PTO Problem -- Switch? L5740 #5  
Ya, fuses rarely blow for no reason. They can get weak over time due to vibration or what not, but not super common. That being said I usually just replace the fuse & make sure I have spares on hand. If it blows a second time, then I start diagnosing.

/ Help with PTO Problem -- Switch? L5740 #6  
Blew the Keystop fuse on my GL3130 has not blown since, never did find the source of the problem