Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #41  
tractordata.com doesn't always have photos, so it might take a little digging

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor
I tried tractordata.com too but came up empty. I had hoped between them and manialslub.com I'd be able to find it within a few minutes. Ha!

Thing is, i dont believe they have all the models listed. I know the 2 at the local shop were built in 2000 yet I dont see 917.272201 at all. I filter by 20hp and 2000 and it shows 2 options that don't match.

I strained the transaxle fluid and found no particulate. It was really REALLY thick but I'm not familiar with 20W50 so maybe that's expected. Since the expansion tank was empty and the main body was topped off, is it possible that there is a blockage in the rubber expansion tank hose? When I was pumping the fluid out, the suction side hose kept collapsing which could mean it was pushed against the bottom of the tank or it could mean there was no way for air to get into the tank to back-fill the fluid being removed.

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #44  
Possible but 20w-50 isn't right anyway for hydro stat. You want 5w-50. And TuffTorq is even recommending 10w-30 now. I'd put synthetic in it as well. Not conventional.

I bought what the service manual stated but if there's a better option 25 years later, i can easily return and get something different. The manual says 20W-50 Exxon Mobile conventional. Well, i actually don't recall if it says conventional but then synthetic wasn't what everyone was using in 2000 so may have been default to conventional unless explicitly stated synthetic?

Is there any guidance on removal and reinstall of the cooling fan? I need to drill out the expansion tank retainer screw and am nervous i could damage the blades. Seems smarter to remove and reinstall rather than break, find replacement, and reinstall.

Never mind, with weight on wheels the trans doesnt want to spin so an impact driver zipped the nut right off even with some crud.

Last edited:
I got a chance to talk to Hydro Gear customer support (now routed to Gardner Co) wo directed me to a local HG service shop. They said HG transaxles of that era are pretty good and most likely a linkage issue rather than internal based on ddescription. Also confirmed best oil to use is 20w50 full synthetic which was OOS at local store so ordered for delivery. I do wonder if it would be beneficial to use some thinner lubricant to flush the old stuff and use the synthetic after.

I got a black light the other day as a last ditch effort and it popped the sticker out like magic! Turns out, the tractor has a swapped engine and a different deck. It's a 917.272201 25HP v-twin 46" hydrostatic transaxle DLT lawn tractor just like the ones at the shop. The motor was swapped for a near perfect date matched 20HP opposed twin. Mystery solved!

As for the transaxle, I replaced the oil and it seems to work great. It does act a little strange with bypass enabled. It should stop any motion of the axle but it slowly reverses when full reverse and it jerks forward but only when in full forward. I performed the purge but it didn't make much difference with the bypass issue. Since I don't see that as a big deal (I'm not going to be running the engine in bypass for any reason I can think of), I'll not worry about it.

It looks like the electric clutch is running all the time which is a more concerning issue. I'll have to look into that since I'm not sure about how the electric clutch engages.

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #50  
Good deal. Your clutch, if you un couple the connector and it still runs with the belt attached- would be toast. As these age and the brake on the clutch wears out, they may turn w/o a load yet- but many times won't when the belt is on.