Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #1  

bkenobi

Silver Member
Tractor
NH T1510
I picked up a mower today "for parts or repair" and it looks pretty fixable. They ran over a concrete chunk and blew one of the spindles out. I have an extra spindle from my work horse Craftsman tractor, buy I'm not sure if it's compatible.

The issue is the model/serial number tag is faded/delaminated. I can see the ghost of words/letters but am having a tough time picking out a series of numbers that help.

Ill post pictures later today (the ones i took yesterday are terrible). What i know is:
* the hood says DLT
* it has a 20HP Briggs opposing 2 cylinder (platinum iirc)
* hydrostatic trans
* 42" deck
* tag under hood says 46" deck
* standard 90s craftsman green color
* battery under hood
* fuel filler under seat
* no oil filter that i saw

I can get the transaxle and engine model numbers. Anything else other than pictures that would help?

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #2  
they take 3 minutes to bolt in? just see if it bolts in?

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor
I understand that part, but having a manual and knowing the correct part numbers in general is very useful. I imagine the spindles from 42" Craftsman decks are identical for the most part. And I have to pull the old part off anyway since it's now multiple pieces so placing my spare on the deck to match up geometry will be done regardless.

I fired it up this morning to confirm the tractor mechanics worked and found that the engine runs well and moves forward and backwards. But the hydrostat doesn't like slow forward and clunks into higher speed. I'm imagining this will take some trans work to make right.

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #5  
You may find the transaxle is low on fluid. Many have a rubber filler plug on top but no place to check the fluid. so I drilled mint just below the seam and inserted a hydraulic jack plug. Now I can easily check the fluid - just fill to the plug. Mine uses regular 80/90W gear oil. The mower deck spindles are fairly common - I've replaced them from eBay. Obviously Sears didn't make the tractor. I don't know who actually made the tractor. Husqvarna? MTD?

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #6  
Sounds Husqvarna. 3 bolt spindles. Hydro- does this have the regular oil filter underneath? No 917.number on the tag below the hood or under the seat that can be made out? Though it wouldn't be the first with an under hood tag that didn't match the chassis.

I don't see a model under the hood, just the consumables list with wrong deck size. It's made by AYP/Husqvarna like everything else of that era. I read that the fluid should be filled to top less 1-1/4" which sounds like an easy check (assuming i can reach it). Is it just 80 or 90 weight oil? Other thought was confirming belt was tight but i doubt thats the issue.

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #8  
Hydros do not use 80w90. Likely was 10w30, fill levels are dependent of what transmission you have. Look also for missing bolts or broken brackets that hold the transmission in place. Some models also have a lower steering shaft support plate which hold lots of debris and keeps the clutch pedal from returning fully- which in turn allows the belt to slip.

/ Help identify Craftsman lawn tractor #9  
I don't have a book with mine either. Tag faded off. I just go to the lawnmower place, which it's bigger than a parts store. Lay my spindle on the counter, they hand me a new one. Of course, it's over an hour away in Texarkana, but, they got the goods.

Oh ok. Just said 80 because that's what i thought @Roadworthy
was suggesting. I see many mentions of Hydro Gear oil at around 10w30 so will look into that. Another thread here suggested pumping out/replacing. Is that worth the effort since the manuals all say these never require service? Mine says 314-0510 on the seat tag but i haven't looked for anything on the case to confirm that is correct.