Hay Ride Wagon Build

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #61  
Update. I contacted several companies that build or say they sale running gear to not get replies or quotes. Horst said I can get one from my local JD dealer as they are a dealer for the distributor. My local JD place said they cannot get any type of wagon running gear and can’t get parts for the old JD ones. Distributor said they can’t sale to me and I have to use my JD dealer. That loop is not the answer.

After giving up, I ordered a complete wagon from Zimmerman in PA. It is the Stoltzfus brand hay ride wagon. I ordered it mid February and received notice it is ready and will ship out next week, hopefully. They sent a picture. My plan is to make it as close to the Radio Flyer Town & Country as possible. One of my employees is an artist and is going to paint the logo for Radio Flyer on it for me. I will add Grandpa’s to the logo for fun.

I will need to repaint the wheel hubs red but other than that I think they did pretty good. It is a 7x16 on a 6 ton running gear with automotive type steering.

As a side note I did not tell my wife I ordered it as the price is probably not something she would appreciate. :ROFLMAO: Oh well it will be worth it when those kids get to ride.

I will be getting them new wagons of their own too.

View attachment 865234

This is the goal.

View attachment 865235
Your thinking on this will leave a smile on every kids face. Even old timers will get a laugh. It looks like the perfect parade wagon. :)

Please keep posting pics of the progress.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
Honey, I’m home! :ROFLMAO:

Wife was shocked. She said “You do realize you only have 3 little grandkids don’t you?” I told her I don’t know how fat they will get. Don’t want to exclude anyone. :ROFLMAO:

Here is the video she took as I was driving up with it.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #63  
Honey, I’m home! :ROFLMAO:

Wife was shocked. She said “You do realize you only have 3 little grandkids don’t you?” I told her I don’t know how fat they will get. Don’t want to exclude anyone. :ROFLMAO:

Here is the video she took as I was driving up with it.

I'll bet when it's done she will be front and center with the grandkids and an ardent supporter of the wagon build.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
Now a nice set of steps in the rear or front right.
They offered to build steps for it. They even make a wheelchair lift for them.

I elected to not get the steps thinking they may get in the way if used for other purposes. I think 3 bales stacked will be easy enough for everyone to get in if they are baled tight.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #66  
In isn't bad, but after some traffic and then it's time to get out some of those bales get a trough in the center and it's easy to get a toe under a string.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
In isn't bad, but after some traffic and then it's time to get out some of those bales get a trough in the center and it's easy to get a toe under a string.
Good point. I will have to think on this some. Something light and portable would be nice.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #68  
Good point. I will have to think on this some. Something light and portable would be nice.
We used a Rubbermaid two step plastic stool. On its own it's great but if someone stood along side and offer a hand of stability for those going up or down, there would be almost no chance of someone falling. Problem solved and keeps your wagon looking like you want.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
The bed floor is about 36” tall. So a little taller would be nice. I am looking at some folding stairs that have 4 steps. Just not sure how far out the A frame would keep the top step from the back of the wagon. Definitely would be a gap to step across.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
Maybe something like this would work? 21” high leaving a 15” step into the wagon.