Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #1  

r8f1k

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 100, Allis Chalmers D14, International Super MTA, IH 560, Mahindra 4510, Gehl 4500, Clark CY45, JD 800, JD 60
A gentleman not far from my place built a very well made lean-to/pavilion and used it for equipment service. He has passed away and the family wants the property cleaned up, the building included. I can have it for nothing, just get it out. It needs a roof, but it is well made. It is 44ft long, 16ft wide, about 8 feet tall around the perimeter. I would use it for the same thing, but I need some help figuring a way to move it. The site is pretty open, there is a heavy forklift on site as well as a heavy skid steer. My thought was to pull 3 hay wagons under the roof, place two 45ft telephone poles on top of the wagons, lengthwise and then bolt them together with shorter pieces of telephone poles (call them 6ft wide). Once this is under the roof, lift the ends of the telephone poles up to the roof and get the weight off of the posts. Chainsaw off the posts, and lower the roof onto the wagons. I would chain the wheels straight on the back two wagons and allow the from wagon to steer. He is about 1 mile from my place and it is a pretty easy ride over. I would pull it with my pickup.

My fear is getting telephone poles that long and they would make the roof too heavy. I also don't really need the big poles......any thoughts on another way/better way to do this? No, I'm not going to pay someone to move it. I don't think it is going to be worth the expense. And I have never hauled a hay wagon with the steering axle chained in a fixed position, thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7410.jpg
    IMG_7410.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7411.jpg
    IMG_7411.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7412.jpg
    IMG_7412.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 168
   / Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed
If I only knew 300 people.....and they would work for a can of beer.....

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #4  
If the forklift and skid steer can handle the weight, I'd give it a go.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #5  
If you could borrow a flatbed semi trailer with a front jeep, that would be the way to go. Back it in centered, thoroughly brace the building down to the deck and then remove the posts. If you were careful you could move everything to your place and reuse the posts if they are still good.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #6  
can the roof be sectioned into 3 x 15 ft pieces ?
a flatbed semi trailer sounds like a good option

if the roof can be slowly / carefully lowered off the post / barrels onto a trailer, that would be good

is the new location prepped, accessible, and ready ?

I think the roof and telephone poles would be too much weight for a pickup

all the best with this endeavour

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed
I can haul it with my tractor, I'm sure it will do it. The truck is an F350, capacity I think is around 12,000lbs.....I THINK. I'm pretty sure, if I went nice and slow, it can be pulled without issue.

The site is not prepped, but it is flat. I was going to move it, leave it on the wagons until the weather changes and spring chores are done. Hence, I can't borrow someone else's lowboy or semi trailer. I also don't want the concrete barrels, I would dig new holes and use new posts.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #8  
I had a house moved. The house mover had a trailer rig that was basically two huge I beams sitting on an adjustable trailer dolly. What would be a nearly impossible task for anyone else was pretty easy for him because he had the right rig. When he got the house to my location, he jacked it up about 10' or so in the air using hydraulic jacks and cribbing. Then we built a first floor under the house making it a two story house.

I'd suggest you at least check to see if there's a house mover or a portable building mover near you that could move the structure for you and raise it back up. You could then set your posts under it. Drop the pavilion onto your posts. Done.

You're getting a free structure, but your cost is what it would cost you to move it. How much that will be and whether it's worth it to you is your decision.

Last edited:
   / Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #9  
Around here farmers use flat beds with jeeps to move hay and straw bales from the fields to storage. They sit around unused for most of the year. That doesn't sound like an option for you.

I wouldn't bother with 3 wagons. Two, one behind the other would be enough. I would just hook the rear wagon up to the front one. For stability though you could put the two rear wagons side by side and hitch them to the front wagon. You're power pole moving frame should be able to move around on the decks of the wagons enough to turn corners.

I think that your idea of lowering the roof and then raising it again is a lot if extra work. I understand why you want to do it though. A roof that high off the ground is a very unstable top heavy load.

Just a few ideas.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #10  
I have some doubts that chaining a hay rack so it cannot steer would work very well and would put excessive stress on frame while making anything but a very mild turn do to distance between the axles. Long flatbed would be a much better option.