Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #11  
I keep coming back to house mover because they've done this enough to know what works and have the equipment to lower and raise the structure on to a purpose designed trailer long enough and strong enough for the task.

My guy had a pair of hydraulic house jacks that were linked together so they raised and lowered the same amount at the same time. He also had enough oak cribbing to stack as needed to raise all four corners of the house.

Telephone poles would concern me for the amount of weight, the taper, and the round profile having a tendency to roll during travel.

Cobbling this to that would also concern me for wanting to separate at the worst possible moment on some roadway with a bunch of idiot drivers to contend with.

You also need to check your route of travel for low hanging power lines and any other height obstructions.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed
So, on my site I have a fork lift and a skid steer as well, so lifting it isn't going to be so bad. At least I don't think so. I would love to get a trailer that I can move the whole thing, but I don't know if I can borrow/use it that long. I think if the telephone poles are strapped down to the running gears, they should allow the wagons to pivot a little more, so they don't bind as bad. I am in essence moving only the roof so it will be pretty low. The mover I have spoken to in the past, is usually booked months out. I really only have a 45 day window at this point to move it, since the property is being leveled and sold. I am thinking I could move the building late at night going about 5 mph with a lead car and following car. There would be a left turn, right turn and right turn. That's it. No power lines that are low at all.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #13  
I'd encourage you to call your mover to at least see if he is an option. If not, he may have some useful tips to help you.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #14  
What kind of roads wi you be travelling down? Private roads or county, etc? 16ft wide normally requires permits on Northern Michigan roads. Jon

Country Roads. I will need to get a wide load permit.

What kind of roads wi you be travelling down? Private roads or county, etc? 16ft wide normally requires permits on Northern Michigan roads. Jon
Just curious, why is it that farmers are able to move machinery significantly larger than 12ft wide without a permit? They have the SMV triangle and I understand the act of farming has many exemptions, but some machines are ENORMOUS. Are there dates that allow this kind of traffic to roll down the road without a permit? Being an orchard, we don't have any really wide equipment that is more than 12ft.....just curious.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #17  
Just curious, why is it that farmers are able to move machinery significantly larger than 12ft wide without a permit? They have the SMV triangle and I understand the act of farming has many exemptions, but some machines are ENORMOUS. Are there dates that allow this kind of traffic to roll down the road without a permit? Being an orchard, we don't have any really wide equipment that is more than 12ft.....just curious.
Just pull the load with your 560 and you'll be ok.

I went and looked at the building again, it has a large double 2x10 main beam/header running the length of the building. I can't get a hold of any 45ft telephone poles, the longest I can get is 32ft. My thought would be to add more bolts to the beam/header to stiffen it up, add another cross beam on the ends spanning the shorter ends versus trying to span the length. Lift the building with the added cross beam and use the existing main beam to raise it up off the posts. Once it is raised off the posts, lower it down onto the wagons. If I use a short telephone pole to rest it on a wagon, I can fix it in place in the center of the wagon so it can pivot while moving it. I have a couple 10 ton gears and the rest are unknown, but not as heavy.

On a side note, I don't know if my skid steer will lift the roof its an old Gehl 4500, 1100lb capacity and once the bucket is all the way up, that drops way down. I do have a nice Clark forklift, with deep forks, but the site is pretty soft and usually is.

Attachments

• IMG_7444.jpg
    IMG_7444.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7443.jpg
    IMG_7443.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7442.jpg
    IMG_7442.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
Just pull the load with your 560 and you'll be ok.
I would have no problem doing that, however, the 560 is bone stock and has NO driving lights/flashers to speak of. My Mahindra does and I'm leaning towards using that.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #20  
If it is an "Implement of Husbandary" a lot of "normal" rules don't apply, so tow it with a tractor, not your truck.
Have a chase vehicle to provide lights/flashers.

Aaron Z