GST vs HST during a shift change

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #21  
There are so many drivers now that cannot drive a manual transmission car or truck. I was surprised myself when faced with driving a manual transmission vehicle my co-worker age 42 at the time, said he could not drive it, so I had to. But I haven't driven one myself now in almost 20 years. Im sure I still could, but just haven't had the opportunity to try in so long. Yes, in this country, they are almost obsolete for normal autos and light trucks. My last auto to have one was a 1983 Camaro z28 and the last truck a 1989 Ford F150 with one of those Mazda 5 speeds in it. Real slick shifter. The 1987 Ford F150 had a Borg Warner 4 speed, not so slick, but it did have a "granny" gear in it.

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #22  
Never said you did but if you take your road test with an automatic, to get a manual endorsement you have to test with a manual. Nothing more.

I happen to be a State of Ohio licensed examiner.

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #23  
I don't like slush boxes but in a big truck it's still a manual with a computer controlled clutch.

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #25  
Same for light trucks. In fact, light trucks arguably led the way in eliminating automatics. The manual transmission is functionally obsolete in the marketplace
Could have fooled me. Just bought a Ford Focus ST with a 6 speed. In fact that is the ONLY way they come.

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #27  
Last time I checked it was a CDL, not a CTL whatever that is.
Auto fill error.

A CTL is a compact track loader. Apple seems to like that better than commercial drivers license.

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #28  
Could have fooled me. Just bought a Ford Focus ST with a 6 speed. In fact that is the ONLY way they come.
They don’t make the Focus anymore, in case you haven’t noticed.

It’s essentially been replaced by the new Maverick pickup. Hybrid standard with a cvt and Ecoboost with automatic optional.

No manual transmission.

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #29  
Manuals are not more expensive to produce, not even close. But they ARE more expensive for manufacturers and dealers to support once they fall below a certain market share when you still have to produce spares and distribute tools and train technicians to service them even though they'll only run into it once in a blue moon.

They also hurt instead of help manufacturer's CAFE ratings at this point. Back when manuals had more gears than automatics they weren't hurting, but now automatics commonly have more ratios and not only that, can be programmed to perform in a VERY specific way during the EPA test loop even if it creates aggravating behaviors in real world driving.

One interesting thing to note is that even though automatic transmissions are now up to 10 speeds, you can look back at the acceleration times of prior generations of the same cars and often times with similar power and weight, cars with 8, 9, 10 gears are not any quicker in timed runs than when they had 6 speeds. They are losing as much time shifting through extra gears as they gain by accelerating slightly harder in each gear. It's actually annoying to drivers to shift more without accomplishing more, so at this point the 'growth' of gear ratios in automatics in road cars serves only to exploitatively 'deceive' the EPA test loop without actually 'cheating'. 6 speeds is essentially the point of diminishing returns for both manuals and autos, but unlike manual drivers who, even having gone out of their way to get a manual, dont WANT to deal with much more than 6 gears, automatic transmissions continue to gain gears that human drivers didn't ask for and can't make much use of, just to optimize for the EPA test loop.

/ GST vs HST during a shift change #30  
I think the ever increasing number of gears in automatics is more for marketing competition than anything else. If you only have 6 or 8 and the competition has 10, they have better numbers than you do. Some people factor that into their buying decision.

One thing that does improve the EPA numbers (and real numbers) though is to have some tall overdrive gears. Having a lot of gears allows that while also having low gears for good off the line performance. For example my Toyota Tundra has low first and second gears but with only six, sixth gear is not as low as it could be for freeway cruising. I would not mind a seventh.