Got started putting 1948 Allis Model B engine back together.

/ Got started putting 1948 Allis Model B engine back together. #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
This has been a hot summer project and summer left yesterday so we got the sleeves back into the block and got the crank finished today and the pistons loaded. Hope to get the head on tomorrow.

At age 3 in 1954 I played on Dad's Model B and started driving it when I was 5 while he was picking corn by hand.

I have no way of knowing what age it was but this 1948 is very similar except it has like a 50 year old Wood's belly mower on it. I bought it non running. It turned out the nearly empty bottle of Liquid Glass stop leak in the tool box had made its way into the crankcase. The bearings were nice and shiny but very thin. I have learned so much about this 19 HP engine over the summer. The machine shop saved the crankshaft and head. I cleaned up the sleeves and pistons and we are reusing them. I had to find a used rocker arm due to the Liquid Glass in the motor oil.

I am looking forward to hear the 70 year old tractor run.

/ Got started putting 1948 Allis Model B engine back together.
I am looking at replacing the distributor points with an electronic version. As anyone done this with old gas tractors and what was your results?

/ Got started putting 1948 Allis Model B engine back together. #3  
I am looking at replacing the distributor points with an electronic version. As anyone done this with old gas tractors and what was your results?
Did it on a 1953 Ford jubilee and a 1959 case 200 worked great in both cases.

/ Got started putting 1948 Allis Model B engine back together. #4  
Changing a B over to points is a good thing. Wonder who converted it from magneto to a distributor? (Happens all the time, but all the older B models came with a magneto. I like the mag because you don't have to keep a fresh battery in them, just jump them off and go, or hand crank them.
The serial number located by the gear shift on the transmission will tell you the age of it. There are other ways to tell a general range of years, but serial number is fastest. Tractordata dot com has a serial number listing for it.
David from jax

/ Got started putting 1948 Allis Model B engine back together. #5  
Keep the points!!!! ---the transistor crap will throw off the timing and everything else!!!! ---- been there and had to go back and replace the whole 9 yards!!! thanks; sonny580

Keep the points!!!! ---the transistor crap will throw off the timing and everything else!!!! ---- been there and had to go back and replace the whole 9 yards!!! thanks; sonny580

Thanks for the heads up on the points because we're discussing doing that.

Do you know the why of this issue?

It is currently running a 12 factory looking generator but seems to have come with a magneto originally.

Changing a B over to points is a good thing. Wonder who converted it from magneto to a distributor? (Happens all the time, but all the older B models came with a magneto. I like the mag because you don't have to keep a fresh battery in them, just jump them off and go, or hand crank them.
The serial number located by the gear shift on the transmission will tell you the age of it. There are other ways to tell a general range of years, but serial number is fastest. Tractordata dot com has a serial number listing for it.
David from jax

Since the distribution shows little wear yet the governor weights and pins was worn so bad that I replaced them with tight used ones I am guessing the change over came related later in life.

View attachment 1948 Model B Allis restored engine.jpg

I have worked it about 5 hours but today we put the skin back on it and got the lights wired. Now it is read for the Veterans Day parade Sunday week.

We got rid our our Model B in 1957 or 1958 for a Jubilee Ford (600) and I never thought I would own the tractor like I played on when I was 3 and started driving when I was 5 when Dad was picking corn by hand and got tired of getting off and on it. :)

The oldest son got put to work early but I guess it has paid off over the last 60+ years in one way or another.

/ Got started putting 1948 Allis Model B engine back together. #10  
That is a real nice lookin B!!!
With that belly mower: it's not just a parade queen. It can work!