Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
Maybe part of the problem is a failure to communicate instead of directly asking SEPTA? They might say they don't have the money to take care of all of it. They might say you could have access to the bridge if they were provided with adequate proof of insurance? Maybe they'd abandon the whole thing to the conservancy? Maybe the conservancy doesn't want the responsibility of dealing with future log jams?

If they granted access, would the work be easier, less risky, and more cost effective?

The point is it's impossible to know without communicating effectively.
As said before, we asked them.
No access permitted.

Honestly, I see no advantage of working from the tracks. They are deteriorated, dangerous and pretty high.

Not to complicate things, but there’s a grand plan in the works where SEPTA will remove iron tracks (not the ties) and the Conservancy wants bids to remove all ties, install new ties/sleepers and a wooden walkway with railings.

But that’s a whole ‘nother discussion.

For now, the need is to keep the water flowing as freely as possible to reduce high water levels during floods.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #102  
As said before, we asked them.
No access permitted.

Honestly, I see no advantage of working from the tracks. They are deteriorated, dangerous and pretty high.

Not to complicate things, but there’s a grand plan in the works where SEPTA will remove iron tracks (not the ties) and the Conservancy wants bids to remove all ties, install new ties/sleepers and a wooden walkway with railings.

But that’s a whole ‘nother discussion.

For now, the need is to keep the water flowing as freely as possible to reduce high water levels during floods.
I'm not so sure. A ~20 ton pipe layer on the tracks with two dudes rigging could probably break up a lot of that and hand it off to a yarder on the beach pretty quick, at least get you done to the water line without having to get specialized equipment like one of those swamp excavators or long boom that may or may not have enough capacity to lift whole logs at that distance.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #103  
If the Conservancy is trying to work a deal with them to use the bridge as a walkway later, this whole thing needs to be approached in a way that maintains their working relationship.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #104  
Experience comes from mistakes ,caused by stupidity .

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #106  
What happens if you break it free? Will it go someplace you can collect it easier?
Can you build a trap for the debris someplace more accessible downstream? Just a different thought.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #108  
If you need to contain the debris, I'm thinking the best point is at the beginning when it's all in one place and holding still.
Yes I am beginning to think a floating platform, anchored at the tip of the “sand bar” might be a decent point from which to cut/release pieces, but this brings about another issue:

If you stand on sandbar and cut pieces to create space, soon you’ll have logs in the water to cut. Can’t put chainsaw in the water.

A log will always float with 10% or so out of the water. As you cut, what's left will rise up.

But yeah, your saw is going to get wet.

I'd be more worried about destabilizing the pile as you cut.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #109  
If you need to contain the debris, I'm thinking the best point is at the beginning when it's all in one place and holding still.

A log will always float with 10% or so out of the water. As you cut, what's left will rise up.

But yeah, your saw is going to get wet.

I'd be more worried about destabilizing the pile as you cut.
Getting on that pile with a saw could be one of the most regretful things you ever do. Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Does the water flow recede in the summer ?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #110  
Thank you for saying that scooter.