Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #11  
GN is safer because it loads the truck in front of the rear axle. Not on the rear bumper where it lifts the front axle off the ground

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull?
It will be on a 3/4 Ton pickup. Looking at a Chevy 2500 today.

5030, what is the GVWR of your 28' Kaufman? 28' is not listed on their site. I need to keep the CVWR of the truck and trailer at 26k lbs to avoid needing a CDL

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #14  
1. Goose neck hands down for being more forgiving on load placement.
2. Both are easy to back, IMO you can actually jack knife a goose neck and back it in a tighter spot , but a bumper pull will follow a pick-up better when pulling into a place.
A BP with a long tongue is easy to back but a short tongue isn't.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #15  
I have both. The bumper pull is by far the easier trailer to back into a tight spot as the overhang of the hitch behind the rear tires helps with steering the trailer. If you want to pull a heavy load more safely, then a goose neck is a better option. That's my opinion.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #16  
I have both. The bumper pull is by far the easier trailer to back into a tight spot as the overhang of the hitch behind the rear tires helps with steering the trailer. If you want to pull a heavy load more safely, then a goose neck is a better option. That's my opinion.
About 100 yrs ago my friends dad had mounted a ball hitch on the front bumper ( think it actually bolted to the frame) for backing his trailer way back in between the house and a fence. I use the skid steer with the trailer hitch QA plate.

Last edited:
   / Gooseneck or bumper pull? #17  
GN is safer because it loads the truck in front of the rear axle. Not on the rear bumper where it lifts the front axle off the ground
Actually, a properly installed GN hitch will be CENTERED on the centerline of the rear axle, not in front of it.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #18  
A GN definitely loads the truck better. As far as the skill required to back them it’s about the same. They behave differently though. A GN doesn’t respond very quickly to steering inputs and the front wheels of the truck have to steer way off to the side to move the trailer. Everyone likes to mention that the GN trailer can be backed at a sharper angle to the truck which is true but how often is that actually useful?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #19  
Everyone likes to mention that the GN trailer can be backed at a sharper angle to the truck which is true but how often is that actually useful?
With me, a lot. I like to park the GN at 90 degrees to the truck when loading. That eliminates the shock load on the trucks transmission (especially when in 'Park') because the parking sprag in most transmissions isn't all that strong anyway. I'd much rather 'tighten up' round bales on the GN with it at 90 degrees to the truck.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #20  
Being a retired big truck driver, a GN for me is just like a semi trailer. They act the same, back the same and follow the same.