Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #185,043  
Interesting observation on the hawk, wngsprd. Saw one yesterday too when I was feeding the animals. Did you catch the news on Old Rag permits? Not liking that at all, but I get the reason.
Yep, they've been "testing" the process for 2 years...trying to cut down on the crowds in the warmer months. I need to go again before March 1, although the permit is "only" $2.

/ Good morning!!!! #185,044  
What's an Old Rag permit for? Another way to tax probably.

Billy, hope ankle gets better.

41F on back porch, going to low 70's. Rain coming this Friday they say.

Had problems with 2007 cnc mill for a while at work (since Thanksgiving). Wrongly diagnosed by their support guy too. Ended up being a bad 3 phase breaker. Electrician said he's hardly ever seen them go bad. Wasted many hours and about $500. But very happy it is going again because the students will get training on it starting next Monday. The bureaucracy and a slow ordering staff caused much of the delay.

Now working on a Lincoln Torchmate cnc plasma table. Found out yesterday that the rectangular lithium backup battery on the motherboard is bad. It is soldered on and I wish it was just a plain old coin cell. Unit will have to be reprogrammed, and they don't make it easy to do that. Need a 9 pin serial cable and computer to push the file to it.

Yep, it is another way to tax, from March 1 to November 30. They will sell up to 800 permits each day, 400 can be reserved a month in advance in case one is planning a vacation...the other 400 will be available up to 5 days in advance, for folks who want to go today, or tomorrow, etc. Not too many days will likely max out , except 3 day weekends.

Many of the big, popular National Parks are now requiring reservations just to enter the park, due to popularity.

Thanks for well wishes. Sorry about the battery.

/ Good morning!!!! #185,046  
Good Morning Guys,
Deerfield Beach, 54 to start going to 73 !
Another beautiful sunny day ! No plans yet, but I need to get some beach pictures for Ted ! 😉

I see it’s only 30 back home so I’m not complaining!

Scott(vt) hey you have same temp forecast as us :) Hope dinner was good.
Good Morning Mostly, dinner was good, we Ubered down to Pompano, had dinner and then took the free shuttle down into the center of Pompano and walked the boardwalk ! The free shuttle doesn’t go into Deerfield, so we shuttled back to the border and and then Ubered back to Deerfield!

Hope all have a blessed day ! 🙏

/ Good morning!!!! #185,047  
Morning all, 34 to 41 and cloudy.
Son has volunteered to help autistic children with swimming at school.

RNG - I used about 300 tapcons to put up the furring strips on the garage walls for mounting the drywall.
They work really well as long as not overtorqued and the pre-drilled holes are the correct size.
Out of the 300, I had two break free in cinder block so far.
I am thinking of sleeve anchors (red head) for my shelves instead.
They are much bigger though at 3/8 vs the Tapcon 3/16 or 1/4

Be well,

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #185,048  
Good morning! 39˚F heading to 72˚ with winds turning from the South and partly cloudy becoming full sun.
Yea! Today is graduation day! Last day of Physical Therapy on the new knee.
Also a big relief yesterday with closing on the estate house to cousin's kids with a lawyer instead of a Realtor. My cousin has the property on one side now their kids will be living on connecting property.
Dad was one of the first to get a FEL on his farm tractor and I saw how useful it was and how it was a necessity not an option when I bought my tractor.
Glad the transfer finally got done.
The L5030 I got for Dad was his first FEL, and he uses it for everything, and things he shouldn't. That tractor let him keep farming longer. O how I remember shoveling everything as a kid.

/ Good morning!!!! #185,050  
Good Morning!!!! 43F @ 4:45AM. Partly cloudy this morning. Increasing clouds with periods of showers this afternoon. High 63F. Winds SSE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Saw an animated prediction of rainfall over the Pacific Ocean yesterday, and it looks like David has set up a Pineapple Express for us for the next ten days or so. That ought to get all the reservoirs up to full, and maybe even overflowing. Most are already at least 25% above average for this time of year. But all that warm air isn't going to win him any friends among the skiers.

Sounds like that plasma cutter has a serial interface, Kyle. I probably have a box full of those DB9 cables ready to drop off at a recycler, and I even found an old Mac PowerBook laptop that could probably transfer the file. But whatever software generated the G codes was probably PC based, huh?

I've been struggling with a rocking toilet for a while now, and since I'm headed out of town tomorrow, decided yesterday to finally deal with it. Someone broke all the concrete out away from the sewer pipe under it, so there's no support for the closet flange. Yesterday I picked up a bag of thinset mortar, so today I'll pull the toilet and see how good a job I can do filling the gap and getting it even with the bottom of the closet flange. Then the mortar will have at least a week to harden. I watched a YouTube video where someone used TapCon screws to secure the flange. I wonder how solid they can be threading directly into the concrete without some kind of anchor. Any of you guys have any experience with TapCons?

I pretty much finished up the schlepping in the garage, and am ready for the next load. Which will be mostly machine tools and yard equipment, I think. It always comes down to what's easiest to move and load. I do know it won't be the lathe or mill because they'll need a heavy duty open trailer and it'll be too wet for the next ten days.

Happy Hump Day folks!
Tapcon's are the best concrete screw you can buy. If the concrete is good, they will hold just fine. Is the closet flange bad? They make stainless steel repair flanges.