Good Books.... Well, there are a few.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #151  
Well my obvious first choice is GOD’s word.

But I recently read a biography on Winston Churchill, he was, to say the least an interesting person. He was loud, rude, drank like a fish, said what ever he wanted to whom ever he wanted and saved his country from Nazi occupation.
he saved the world from those bastards!

said he drank a quart of the hard stuff a day, hard to imagine.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #152  
Bearskin by James McLaughlin. A caretaker at a Virginia nature reserve has to deal with bear poachers. To complicate matters he is hiding from the cartel and is concerned that any investigation by him will lead to his exposure. Surprising good book.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #153  
"will lead to his exposure" since cartel strips him bear nekkid.

Last edited:
   / Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #154  
"Damn, I Shot My Horse", by Fred Hauptmann.

I'd heard about the above book from friends of mine who lived in the valley where the story takes place. Found my copy on Amazon and enjoyed it very much. It is a true story, a narrative by the author about his life as a teenager. His father acquires property in remote central Nevada under the Homestead Act in the late 50s. He takes Fred, 15 years old, out to the property and drops him off with a few supplies and instructions to dig a ditch to run water from a nearby canyon to the property for irrigation purposes. Again, this property is very remote - it is 3 weeks before Fred sees another person. The book covers Fred's life for the next several years as he works the property during the warm months, and as a buckaroo during the winter months. Lots of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes - the book is written just as Fred narrated it - but highly entertaining as we read about all the situations he got himself in to and how he resolved them.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few.
While spending time at my mother's house I've picked up a couple of books written by professors at local university Bates College, who had survived Auschwitz. It's pretty intense reading, and hard to believe how low that people can go.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #156  
Just finished "Comfort Crisis" by Michael Easter. Provided lots to ponder.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #157  
Back when I was in grade school, our teacher read to us almost every day. I have never forgotten a book, entitled "Beautiful Joe", about animal cruelty. I say read it first, and if you are so inclined, maybe read it to your little one. It is unforgettable.

^^^^
I will have to check that out. As I was reading the description another book came to mind, which I hadn't thought about in years.
A couple of sentences down I saw that same book mentioned... of course it was "Black Beauty".

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #159  
Was cleaning out the bookcase, found this book:

Good Night Moon

So I read it, just for fun. Took about 3 minutes. I checked the inscription, it said " July, 2005. To Baby J from Granny". Baby J is also known as Jarrett, my 4th Grandson. We called him Baby J because until he was born, all we knew was that his name would begin with a "J".

The book is probably riveting to a 3 year old, but otherwise not too exciting!

When I'm really desperate, I've been known to go out in my shed and dig out my old "Lassie" books, from when I was about ten years old. 🙃