Good Books.... Well, there are a few.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #141  
^^^ Along the same line is the Horatio Hornblower series...actually enjoyable to read...you can be sitting in an easy chair, yet be 500 miles out at sea in a storm!

Last edited:
   / Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #142  
So a rabbit to chase:
With the Bible in a catagory of its own...

If you had one book to choose as your favorite, what would be? And what is #2 if you are struggling with deciding between two?

Any all time favorites?
Catch 22

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #143  
So a rabbit to chase:
With the Bible in a catagory of its own...

If you had one book to choose as your favorite, what would be? And what is #2 if you are struggling with deciding between two?

Any all time favorites?
That's a very difficult question; I guess because I really don't have a "favorite", per se, but I can name a few that had a profound affect. The first would be "The Naked Ape"; the second probably "Dear and Glorious Physician". "Jews, God and History" was another and "Life at the Bottom" is probably my latest read that I would say that was pretty profound.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #144  
At some point I had to read some classics, probably in high school. Two that I thought would be horrible but were actually good was the Scarlet Letter and the Crucible.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #145  
I strongly recommend Hiroshima by John Hershey. It is a classic which is highly readable. One amazing takeaway is that it was reviewed by the government prior to publication with minimal suggested edits. I am not sure a book of this type could be written today.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #146  
I have read 4 books in the past week, and all were written in previous century. The classic Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (1719), Hopalong Cassidy Bar-20 by Clarence Mulford (1906), and two Louis L'Amour westerns (1958 and 1965). All these authors are similar, in that they spend much time and literary effort, building and defining the characters in their books.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #147  
Louis L'Amour's writing is hard to beat for moral character.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #148  
I have read 4 books in the past week, and all were written in previous century. The classic Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (1719), Hopalong Cassidy Bar-20 by Clarence Mulford (1906), and two Louis L'Amour westerns (1958 and 1965). All these authors are similar, in that they spend much time and literary effort, building and defining the characters in their books.

Defoe's Caruso is great but it takes a bit getting used to the vernacular...

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #149  
just finished a book called einstein's telescope, about dark matter.

i wouldn't go outta my way.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #150  
Well my obvious first choice is GOD’s word.

But I recently read a biography on Winston Churchill, he was, to say the least an interesting person. He was loud, rude, drank like a fish, said what ever he wanted to whom ever he wanted and saved his country from Nazi occupation.