Good Books.... Well, there are a few.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
They say mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery. I hope that OP doesn't mind this take off from his very popular thread.

Twenty years ago while working out of Hamm's Inn in the Adirondacks I read a book titled "Three Against the Wilderness", a true story in the first half of the 20th century,
of a man and woman who raised a son in the wildlands of BC while homesteading and running a trapline.[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3084797-three-against-the-wilderness Somehow google came up with the book when I did a very vague search a couple of years ago and I finally ordered it. It was well worth it. The book came yesterday and I was up well past my bedtime reading it... luckily I didn't have anything major planned today. I will finish it tonight[/FONT]

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #2  
There are many...most of the best movies (and TV shows which should be another similar thread) are derived from written works of both fiction and nonfiction...

One work of historical non fiction is 'Escape from Davao'...it was the story that actually let the rest of the world know about the atrocities by the Japanese against captured Philippine, American and Allied soldiers...including the Bataan Death March...

It is much less widely known that some of the atrocities carried out by the Japanese make what the Nazis did look like a garden party...!!!

Escape from Davao - Wikipedia

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #3  
More Stories of the Old Duck Hunter - Gordon MacQuarrie - Better than virtual reality goggles. Will make you laugh and cry.
More Stories Of The Old Duck Hunters: Gordon / Taylor, Zack (Edt) MacQuarrie: 978?932558183: Amazon.com: Books

The Greatest Hunting Stories ever Told - Vin T. Spirano .... The best anthology of hunting stories I have ever read.
The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told: Classic Tales of Hunting Grizzly, Moose, Cape Buffalo, and Much More: Sparano, Vin T.: 97816345?2849: Amazon.com: Books

Classic Hunting Stories - Vin T Spirano
Classic Hunting Tales: Timeless Stories about the Great Outdoors: Sparano, Vin T.: 97816345?2993: Amazon.com: Books

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #4  
Even though it was published 40+ years ago, this has long been a favorite of mine: Truck: On Rebuilding a Worn-Out Pickup and Other Post-Technological Adventures by John Jerome

It was set in a fictitious town in northern N.H., but I believe the author modeled it after Franconia, where he was living at the time he wrote it.
Lots of philosophizing while he rebuilds an old truck he paid $200 for.

I like a lot of Clive Cussler's novels as well as the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few.
I believe that I've read every Jack Reacher novel which has been written. I also read a lot of Cussler's but he got too corny for me. His best IMHO were his "SeaHunter" books... true accounts of his real life organization (NUMA, as can be expected.) which went around locating old ship wrecks. It was his group which found the "Huntley", and they also spent some time up here looking for the "White Bird", a plane flown by two Frenchman who tried to fly across the Atlantic a couple of weeks before Lindberg's successful trip. Some still claim that they made it, and the plane is lost in the Maine Woods someplace. They also spent time down on the border waters between NH and Vermont, trying to locate the remains of a steamboat which supposedly was used there before Fulton's invention.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #6  
FWIW...the latest Reacher book is currently on the best sellers list 'THE SENTINEL' was released the end of Oct...it is good...

Cussler's early (Dirk Pitt) books were very entertaining...after a while the action sequences just got over the top and before I quit reading them I was just skipping over all the corny action bs...

I do still read the 'Oregon Files' series of which the latest ('MARAUDER') is currently # 4 on the best sellers list...

Anyone else read David Baldacci's "The Memory Man' series ?

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #7  
I think the last book I read all the way through, and that I really enjoyed was "My Life With Bonnie & Clyde" by Blanche Barrow. The life of a criminal on the run in those days was anything but glamorous.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #8  
Cussler's early (Dirk Pitt) books were very entertaining...after a while the action sequences just got over the top and before I quit reading them I was just skipping over all the corny action bs...

Yeah, it was the Dirk Pitt novels I was referring to. Haven't read many of his later ones, though I'll occasionally pick one up at a flea market.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #9  
I have read most of Alistair McCleans novels and enjoyed (guns of navarone, breakheart pass etcetc) but cannot read Wilbur Smith, almost copies of the former with addition of elephants and lions.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few.
FWIW...the latest Reacher book is currently on the best sellers list 'THE SENTINEL' was released the end of Oct...it is good...

I do still read the 'Oregon Files' series of which the latest ('MARAUDER') is currently # 4 on the best sellers list...

Anyone else read David Baldacci's "The Memory Man' series ?

That's the same way that I felt. Crossing from Cuba to the Mainland in an outboard powered bathtub?!?!? Pitt sure was good at scoring with the ladies though...