Good Books.... Well, there are a few.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #171  
I enjoyed Washington Goes to War by David Brinkley.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #172  
I picked this book up about Dick Proenneke, after seeing the PBS special about his life in the Alaska wilderness. It reads like a diary. It's something I would have loved to have experienced when I was younger.
book.jpg

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #173  
One of the best stories I’ve read in a long time is Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey. I’d never heard of him and grabbed this from Amazon Kindle so I’d have something to read just before a flight.

It’s a Sci-fi setting but a really great story about war, humanity, doing what’s right and with some ptsd tossed in. First class science fiction and very darkly funny.

I’ve been collecting his other books so I have them all before I start reading them. Nothing worse than getting part way through a series and not being able to get one of the books.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #174  
The Meadow by James Galvin is a really cool book. My friends now own that ranch. It is a really cool place. The book is very interesting and non-fiction. Just amazing spirit and ingenuity of people in years past. And to read about the structures and construction and then to go there after was so cool.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few.
This is a really good non fiction book if you can find it at your library. Manly Hardy (1832-1910) the Life and Writing of a Maine Fur-buyer, Hunter, and Naturalist (Northeast Folklore, Volume #38 (XXXVIII)): William B. Krohn, compiled and introduced by, Pauleena M. MacDougall: 9780943197302: Amazon.com: Books

It's a collection of writings by naturalist/trapper/furbuyer Manly Hardy. Among them he tells of headed into northern Maine to trap. He shot over 400 moose, mostly for their pelt. They would bury the bones and let the marrow ripen, then use it as butter.

I read a friend's copy about 12 years ago and would like to read it again; but he passed away and there is no way I'm paying 130 bucks for a book.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #176  
Absolutely! Good books are like hidden treasures waiting to be discovered. Here are a few gems from various genres that I think you might enjoy:""The Alchemist"" by Paulo Coelho""A Song of Ice and Fire"" series by George R.R. Martin""Dune"" by Frank Herbert. If you're on the hunt for some great reads, I've stumbled upon Harry Potter Books in Order: A Complete Guide to Reading the Series - Bookworm Era, and it's a goldmine for book lovers like us! They've got a fantastic selection of recommendations that might help you uncover your next favorite. Whether you're into magical adventures, gripping mysteries, or heartwarming tales, there's something for everyone.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #177  
I picked this book up about Dick Proenneke, after seeing the PBS special about his life in the Alaska wilderness. It reads like a diary. It's something I would have loved to have experienced when I was younger.
You might want to check out John McPhee's "Coming Into The Country", another book on life in Alaska.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #178  
I just started one called "Gun Baron's: The Weapons That Transformed America and the Men Who Invented Them".

Pretty interesting reading, so far.

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #179  
I just started one called "Gun Baron's: The Weapons That Transformed America and the Men Who Invented Them".

Pretty interesting reading, so far.
One of the inventors the book talks about in the opening chapters is Walter Hunt. The inventor of the safety pin, sewing machine, fountain pen and the repeating rifle. He was one of the most prolific inventors of the time, but never became rich and he's been largely forgotten.
Walter Hunt

/ Good Books.... Well, there are a few. #180  
I always liked the African professional hunter books. My all time favorites were written by Peter Hathaway Capstick.