Buying Advice Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic

/ Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #31  
Then simply pick the log up higher and pull it over the top that twig of a tree you were trapped behind.
Or pull it straight out the other direction.
Sure looks like you were making things unnecessarily difficult trying to prove your point to me.

When I watch videos I give people the benefit of the doubt that they know what their doing in the context that they find themselves in. Too bad nobody was there to teach me a better, more efficient way.

So you know: I avoid damaging living oaks when their sap is running so I lessen the risk of oak wilt killing off thousands of oak trees on my property.

/ Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #32  
Going on 10 years with a GST on an L3240 & still very pleased with its performance.
This tractor is a fairly high weight/HP combination and the GST allows the tractor to put more power into doing work by wasting less HP making heat.
Extremely fine position control is routinely handled by using a low gear, throttle & clutch, together - it just takes a little more coordination to do it.
“I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.”
― Mae West

Best transmission, ever:

Quadruplex.jpg

Last edited:
   / Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #33  
Going on 10 years with a GST on an L3240 & still very pleased with its performance.
This tractor is a fairly high weight/HP combination and the GST allows the tractor to put more power into doing work by wasting less HP making heat.

Best transmission, ever:

View attachment 506497

Good memories Baby Grand!
Drove a few Tri-Plex Macks a long time ago.
Lot's of fun for a kid.
Never could move both sticks at a time without grinding or getting lost.
Thanks for the post!

/ Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #34  
As some of you seen my other thread on which tractor I should buy, I am having trouble deciding between the transmission choices, HST or GST. I think for what I will be doing, a little bit of everything, esp loader work, an HST would probably be better for me, being a new tractor operator.

EricTheOracle, thanks for the video. I kinda see what was going on there. :)

Tractor shopping is exciting and frustrating at the same time. Lol.

/ Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #36  
Have you thought about what TIRES you should put on that new tractor!!!! :D :D That's another can of worms....

Which debate? The R1, R4 and turf tires or the windshield washer fluid, rim guard or foam?

/ Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #38  
Have you thought about what TIRES you should put on that new tractor!!!! :D :D That's another can of worms....
yes, im almost positive the R4 tires will work for my application, due to them providing a lower and wider stance, and possibly able to hold a little more liquid. :)

as far as what liquid? i havent looked into that yet, but seems rim guard is the best, however, most expensive..

as a side note, the more i think about which tractor, i lean more and more towards that Grand L 5460!
dang, they are not cheap...but the longer I wait, the more $$ I have for a down payment each week, which helps me rationalize my desire for a grand L...lol...

/ Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #39  
yes, im almost positive the R4 tires will work for my application, due to them providing a lower and wider stance, and possibly able to hold a little more liquid. :)

as far as what liquid? i havent looked into that yet, but seems rim guard is the best, however, most expensive..

as a side note, the more i think about which tractor, i lean more and more towards that Grand L 5460!
dang, they are not cheap...but the longer I wait, the more $$ I have for a down payment each week, which helps me rationalize my desire for a grand L...lol...

Don't buy out of you means or you won't have the tractor long enough to pay it off.

There's advantages and disadvantages to rim guard, nothing's perfect.

/ Glide shift transmission versus hydrostatic #40  

The L5460 has bigger tires (I think) & more HP than my L4060, but the same frame. Other than being able to take a slightly bigger loader than the L4060 for marketing reasons it won't do more work than the L4060. It however will do things faster. I was wishing for more HP when mowing some tough fiberous yucca today & a bit on roading to & from the gig. I didn't stall it, but the bigger yucca put the burn on my engine & really tried. But the extra cost for that extra HP wasn't & still isn't worth it for me. That turbo (think 54 is the one they finally turbo) would be nice at my altiude though.

I'm a fan of R4's for the extra carying capacity & durability, not to mention not tearing out the ground quite as much. Much more of a comprimise tire than R1's pure focus on traction, but I'm happy with that comprimise. My dealer uses bio ballast instead of rim guard, but I'm happy with t. Similar cost, weight & freezing chararistics. I'd consider methonol (windshield washer fluid) or non-toxic anti-freeze if I were penny pinching, but bio ballast or beat juice (Rim Guard) is the best for weight & enviromental concerns.