Generator question.

/ Generator question. #1  

KenwD

Tractor
Farmall Super A
I Have a Generac generator (model 0045822), and the idle control is not working. The generator stays at full rpm with a load or no load. If this would become involved, I would gladly, if possible, do away with this feature since this is a home backup unit only. Can anyone help me with this ? Thank you for time.

/ Generator question. #2  
It may use a crank position sensor. I only mess with larger units on farms. But, since they are automatic with transfer switches, probably the same thing. More than likely not your actual idle control but something that tells the controller to operate. You can ohm out all those sensors and see what is wrong. Seems the default would be to run high idle if something was to malfunction. That way it will at least generate power. Your solenoid must be a pull back to idle. I just replaced one on a 150 kw generator. It needed replacing, lucky I was there when it failed. Because it would hold enough to perform its weekly self test, but not much longer. It was a pull on solenoid. But yours may be not diesel, some other type of gas. Welding machines have a high idle setting for generating, and an auto setting to drop it to idle when you are not welding or using power tools. Basically the same deal.

/ Generator question. #3  
If using a generator with idle control, your supposed to disable idle control while powering a house. You dont want to damage any item in house by undergoltage.

/ Generator question. #4  
I Have a Generac generator (model 0045822), and the idle control is not working. The generator stays at full rpm with a load or no load. If this would become involved, I would gladly, if possible, do away with this feature since this is a home backup unit only. Can anyone help me with this ? Thank you for time.
pages 22 and 23 of the manual have wiring diagrams. Seems there are "idle control transformers" and of course an electronic governor PCB with an electronic actuator that does the throttle control. Your particular model is not an inverter type generator, so it is designed for load or no load (like running a shop tool or kettle or whatever the load is or no load when the item is not used.

Attachments

• Gen manual.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 49