Garden tips

/ Garden tips #21  
I use the same kind of cages for my tomatoes, but don't know why I hadn't thought about using them for the cucumbers. I'll have to try that next year. And this is the second year I've tried a few of the Super Bush tomatoes that they claim are sturdy enough plants that you don't need a cage. Last year the wind laid them down early and they never got straightened up again and this year they are so heavily loaded that they're lying on the ground, so I reckon I'll continue using the cages.

Bird

/ Garden tips #22  
Bird,

I live on a hilltop location about 400 ft elevation above Ft. Worth. Beautiful panoramic view, but the weather is something else. The wind blows all the time. My corn gets blown completely to the ground two or three times a year. The tomato cages get blown off and finally used 1/2 in rebar to stake them in the ground. I think I will try the cages on the cucumbers this year. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bet the garden would be a lot further along this year if Kubota's M Series introduction had been in November when they said rather than in April like it was. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Garden tips #23  
Wen, the wind is tough around here, too, all Spring. Of course in the heat of the Summer when you wished you had a breeze, we won't have any. When I bought the place, there were some tomato cages here made of light wire with mesh too small to get my hands through, and I used a bunch of 1 x 2 stakes to keep the wind from blowing them over, but when I made my new tomato cages this year out of concrete re-enforcing wire, I cut it so I have about 4" of wire on each section that sticks right into the ground and none have ever blown over. Of course, the plants grew so big that you can't even see any of the cages now. Sure going to be a job to separate the cages from the plants this Fall./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And it's time for us to start giving tomatoes to anyone who'll take them; just don't know how long it'll last. My wife just came back from the neighbor behind us who bought some kind of netting to put over their tomatoes and says the grasshoppers have eaten through the netting to get to the plants./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Garden tips #25  
This mail order seed place is local to me. We run out there each year and buy all of our seeds. They always seem to have everything in stock and the farms where they grow the seeds are nearby. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Garden tips #26  
Re: Garden tips...Pumpkins.

Bird,

Just add a set of wheels to the biggest one and you should have an Orange wagon to pull behind your orange tractor before Halloween! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Garden tips #27  
Re: Garden tips...Pumpkins...Jim

Good morning out there Jim.
I notice you have a great sence of humor even in the early AM. :eek:)

Now if Bird was to put a set of wheels on the biggest pumpking and haul it round,and the pumpkin was to break open with all of those seeds have you wonder what might become of those seeds?

Those seeds might be Kubota seeds.

Bird, if you should put a set of wheels on your biggest pumpkin please go slow, and the rest of us Kubota owners that grow pumpkins will try and be careful with those seeds Jim. :eek:)

May you have pleasant weekend and be extra good to yourself.

Thomas..NH

/ Garden tips #28  

JimBinMI, have to keep the priorities straight; the grandkids want the Halloweed stuff, I just want the pumpkin pies./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Garden tips #29  

Bird,

I'm with you, LOVE pumpkin pies! You can send some north whenever you have an overstock! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Don't forget the whipped cream!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Garden tips #30  

Yeah, and I grew up eating real whipped cream, but nowadays it's Cool Whip./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird