forum speed

/ forum speed #1  

Anderson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3600 with cab/Loader
Has anyone else been experiencing slow connections to, and slow navigation within this forum for the last couple weeks?

It takes over a minute for me to display messages , Every time I click on something it takes at least a minute to get a response from this site. I'm on a T1 line, and have no problems with other sites.

I don't see any complaints from other users, so I'm wondering if it's something unique to me.

/ forum speed #2  
yes Andy, mine is a little slow also, but not enough to keep me from logging on every time a have a minute to spare. jim

/ forum speed #3  
Today, in particular, there are some routing problems... which will be resolved. But overall the speed has been as usual over the past couple of weeks. There was one problem with a major router I believe on the 12th of this month, but that was corrected the same day... and only some users were affected by it.

msig.gif

/ forum speed #4  
I too have noticed slow loading the last several days at work (aT1 line) and at home ( a 56K phone connection). The loading graph stalls at 25 to 30 %. If I hit "discussion" the thread index flashes on then off, laboriously creeps to 25 % or so and stalls. It reminds me of the "lost packets" a few months ago.

RCH

/ forum speed #5  
Lately I thought the speed has been good.I haven't experienced anything too slow,only when there are alot of people on site things take a little longer to load.Tom

/ forum speed #6  
It was bad enough that I gave up twice today, but it seems to be working right now.

Bird

/ forum speed #7  
Often there is a problem with one or more of the so-called "backbones." Even breakdowns in far-flung locales can impact US service, since by its nature, the Net re-routes. I am fairly confident most of the slowdowns affecting West coast people are due in some part to the facts below:

"Rush to mend cable after Net jam

Millions of users impacted by broken undersea connection
REUTERS

SINGAPORE, Nov. 21 — Telephone companies from Singapore and Indonesia are scrambling to repair a break in an undersea telecommunications cable that led to major Internet traffic jams for millions of users across the globe.

SINGAPORE TELECOMMUNICATIONS Ltd. said it had dispatched a cable ship to repair the SEA-ME-WE 3 cable, which was cut between Singapore and Jakarta.

The 23,600-mile cable links Australia, Asia and Europe and is one of the world’s busiest Internet cables.

The cause of the damage was unknown, but possibilities include a ship’s anchor or earthquake.

“We still don’t know what caused the cut and it’s part of the international cable...through 33 countries,” said a spokesman for Telstra Corp Ltd, Australia’s biggest Internet provider, which lost 65 percent of its international capacity on Monday.

“We have been told that it has impacted Indonesia, Japan, Hong Kong, the U.K. and United States at least and possibly other countries as well,” he added.

“We’ve re-routed traffic since the damage occurred,” a spokesman for the Singaporean company said.

Telstra, with more than 650,000 customers, relies on the cable for around 60 percent of its traffic.

It posted a notice on its Web site warning customers of long delays due to the disruption to its “Australian backbone.”

Telstra said its Big Pond network was virtually closed down overnight, but had since been able to re-route traffic and was now operating at 75 percent capacity.

Telstra said said it would take a number of days to repair the cable."

BobT.
A Indiana Boy

/ forum speed #8  
I noticed the same kind of problems that seemed to be related to this site only... After some tips from Muhammad I did some checking and the problem was related to the Domain Name Server that I was using. Not sure why that should make any difference but after I switched to a different DNS my problems went away.

Bill

/ forum speed
My connection is still terible today.

I know we are doing some reconfiguration with our DNS here at work. How can I check to see if this is my problem.

Additionally I'm sure I checked the E-mail all replies to my real e-mail address, and didn't get any forwarded to me. Am I using this feature incorrectly?

Nate Anderson

/ forum speed #10  
Mine is running normally today. And of course the e-mail replies means you only get e-mail when it's a reply to one of your own messages, so you should get this one via e-mail.

Bird