Ford 3000 diesel 3cyl losing prime when sat

/ Ford 3000 diesel 3cyl losing prime when sat
Hi,
I've owned it 2 years, only done around 50 hours with it, hadn't changed it yet. Owner before me was not big on maintenance.
So, sounds like I should refill the injection pump sump with oil and see if the sump level rises, and at what speed it does so. Then I'll know the scale of the leakage within the pistons. And if it's slow, then I'll just do regular changes and ignore it. Would you agree?
Thanks again,
FordnMassey

Hi,
To complete the story so others might benefit: I replaced the lift pump and the engine now fires first turn even after long periods of no use. I couldn't find a fault in the lift pump, but at this stage I believe there was a leak internally that I couldn't detect on inspection that was the cause of the injection pump filling with diesel and the loss of prime from prolonged standing.
Thanks for the help.
FordnMassey

/ Ford 3000 diesel 3cyl losing prime when sat #13  
That’s why I replace them 100%..
Glad u got’r going..
Happy tractoring..

Yes, that’s completely normal. There may be wear between the plunger and barrels that allow the fuel to push past the plunger and into the oil res.
It’s best to shut off the fuel AT THE TANK if u plan to let it sit for any period of time..
When was the last time u changed the oil.?? U should change it 2x a year..
Hi,

An update on this problem....

It's been 6 months since I replaced the fuel lift pump and the lube level in the pump is now much higher than normal. There was 400mL or a pint of thinned oil above the level hole. I am figuring that this means there is an issue with the elements leaking diesel thru into the injector pump sump.

I am pretty capable mechanically. Is there anything that stops me replacing the elements and then calibrating the pump? I'm thinking of replacing it on the engine and calibrating it by cranking the motor. The cylinder distribution pipes would be redirected to measuring cylinders. Would that rpm be enough for the pump to calibrate the pump on?

/ Ford 3000 diesel 3cyl losing prime when sat #15  
If it was that simple, there wouldn’t be a market for $80K test stands..
Your going to need the special splined socket to remove and TORQUE the top nuts on the pump..(delivery valve holders) Not to mention the gasket kit..& the plunger and barrel part #..

Hi,
I enjoy fixing things, so am willing to do a rebuild and parts are available online, but I have no experience in calibrating fuel pumps and I suspect that will be an issue. Also I'm seeing videos online of the testing being done at engine rpm, which would be hard to replicate. Sounds like a world of difficulty for me, so calibration by an expert at least would be money well spent.
Thanks for the help.

/ Ford 3000 diesel 3cyl losing prime when sat #17  
FWIW.. your probably not going to find anyone to calibrate your home built pump..but good luck

/ Ford 3000 diesel 3cyl losing prime when sat #18  
Even if you are able to find someone to calibrate the pump for you the cost is most likely not much less than just letting them rebuild and calibrate it in the first place. I would leave the pump to the professional and spend my time on something more productive.

/ Ford 3000 diesel 3cyl losing prime when sat #19  
At around 80k for a test stand and 15.00-20.00 for a gallon of calibration fluid with a 25 gallon tank..& calibration injectors at 250.00 each..
I don’t put ANYTHING on my machine that I didn’t build..
There’s a level of cleanliness that has to be upheld..
Good luck

Thanks for the last two responses. I agree with both those points.I'll see what services I can find locally and what they will do regards calibrate only vs rebuild and calibrate.
I'll report back after it's done.