Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510 #1  

Slowgear

Tractor
Ford 1700
Hey guys, first post. I've been googling and searching this for months and I'm still at a loss, so finally decided to just pose the question outright and see what folks more knowledgeable/experienced than me have for suggestions. Basically I have the two tractors mentioned, and need to get rid of one. They are very similar, and I think each would do what I need. So this is a question of nitpicking which is "best" between the two. I guess part of this is that I'm wondering if there's some factor I'm completely overlooking that makes this a not-so-nuanced comparison. Here we go:

For background, I recently moved to a 5 acre wooded property and I've always wanted a tractor, so I bought a Ford 1700 a year ago. I am totally new to tractors but I work with wrenches and other mechanical things for a living so I'm sure I can figure out how to do any "home-mechanic" type work eventually. The 1700 has a loader and loaded R1 tires and everything seems to work and it only has 200hrs on the meter (which actually seems probably accurate from what I can tell). I kind of love it. Before long I started looking for implements and came across a deal I couldn't pass up, a Ford 1510 with a handful of implements I wanted at a great price. So I picked that up too thinking I would do some easy cosmetic stuff and just resell the tractor to basically pay for the implements. The 1510 has around 1200 hrs, seems to have been gently used, turf tires in good condition. Along the way I got to thinking maybe the 1510 is actually the better tractor for me, and that's where the indecision sets in. I have reasonable-but-not-infinite amounts of money and time to put into this whole venture, trying to do things with some degree of moderation although that means different things to different people.

What I foresee as my tractor "needs"
1. Having fun/playing.
2. Firewood on my own property - Skidding trees out of the woods, moving sawlogs around, brush/toppings cleanup, towing an ATV-style log trailer around.
3. Snow removal - probably plowing a 1/2mile of straight, level dirt road at most, maybe stacking snow in my 400ft driveway if we really get dumped on and my smaller stuff cant handle it. Maybe add a 3PH snowblower if I ever find a smoking deal on a mechanic's special I want to tackle. I should also mention I have garden tractor plows and walk behind snowblower for light snowfalls.
4. Tilling a small vegetable garden
5. Moving pallets around.
6. Light dirt moving and general utility loader work.
7. Occasional trailering to other locations.

Similarities between tractors
1. Similar HP, 22 (1510) vs 24ish (1700)
2. Similar age and condition (1700 is a few years older, but 1000less hours and slightly better condition overall)
3. Both 4WD 12-speed gear drive with diff lock
4. Both Shibaura-built
5. Neither have ROPS
6. Identical FEL weight capacities (when equipped)

Significant(?) differences
1. 2cyl (1700) vs 3cyl (1510). The
2. Rear lift 3800lbs at pins (1700) vs 1400lbs (1510). I'm not sure I believe this but I've seen the numbers listed several places
3. Operating weight unballasted ~2400lbs (1510) vs ~2600lbs (1700). As currently set up I think 1700 is well over 1500lbs heavier with wheel weights, filled tires, FEL.
4. Controls layout. 1700 has range and gear levers on the transmission hump, 1510 has the same range selector but gear selector is on the steering column.
5. Front end design. I can't figure out if this matters, but they are completely different-looking designs.
6. Accessories. 1700 has Ford 770 loader, double 100(?)lb wheel weights on each wheel. 1510 has a cool suspension seat. I'm mostly sure all of these are just bolt-on swappable as is.
7. Wheels/Tires. The 1700 rear wheels are corroded and have weld repairs, and the R1 tires dig up everything they drive over unless it is paved or frozen. 1500 has wide turf tires that are easier on my lawn than almost everything else I own, including my 600lb ATV. Obviously the much lower weight of the 1500 has something to do with this too. In the woods the R1s dig through the loamy soil until they hook up and I go where I'm pointed. The turf tires kind of mold around/over rocks and roots and whatever I'm on and I go where I'm pointed. Afterwards a blind man could follow the ruts left by the R1s while the turfs just sort of compress the leaves a little.
8. 1510 has 1.1gal more fuel capacity (5.8 vs 6.9gal). With my usage patterns I have to refuel about 1 time per season.
9. 1510 runs noticeably smoother and quieter, especially noticeable at idle. As the operator I wear hearing protection and don't care about noise, but I do have neigbors and they might. I do often "work" late into the night or early in the morning.
10. 1700 is oil bath air filter, 1510 is conventional filter element.
11. The 1510 has a marginally nicer hood latching and opening system to my preference.

Potential courses of action I'm considering:
1. Sell the 1510 after maybe taking the nice suspension seat bracket off it and doing some cleaning, lubricating, replacing adjustment springs, etc.
2. Swap the 770 loader onto the 1510 and sell the 1700. The 1510 lists 770A and 770B (NOT 770) as compatible loaders but from what I can tell the only important differences are holes in different places on the rear mounting bracket.
3. Go with 1 or 2, after swapping the wheels and tires. The rears seem interchangeable, the fronts have a different bolt pattern so I'd have to probably buy 4 new front wheels at a minimum to go this route.
4. Sell the 1700 as equipped, buy and/or buy+modify a loader to fit the 1510. Ideally I'd like a removable loader and I'd also like the convenience of more modern joystick hydraulic controls and some extra quick-connect hydraulic circuits for a grapple, tilt+ pivot plow, hydraulic top link, or whatever other cool stuff I don't even know about yet.
5. Give up on this whole old tractor thing and just buy a newish used 1025R or whatever similar Kubota.
6. Something else I haven't considered yet.

So that's about everything I can think of. Any thoughts/opinions? Is one tractor significantly "better" in any real objective way? Better for the use case I'm proposing? I read that the 1510 control layout was supposedly a major ergonomic improvement but had mixed reviews and some people hate it. Honestly the ergonomics don't seem any better or worse or anything, just different - reach over here to shift vs reach over there. And I can't figure out why anyone would hate it. Also I read that some front ends were notoriously weak, but don't know if I should worry about that (since I have options). The rear lift capacity of 3x more on the 1700 seems noteworthy but with essentially identical frames I can't find a reason it should be so much higher. Maybe it's a misprint or maybe the Shibaura engineers caught on and reigned in the marketing literature people somewhere between those two model years? There's a 200lb weight difference between the two tractors so something must be beefier somewhere on the 1700 but nothing stands out to me. What do you guys think? What am I missing or not thinking about? All thoughtful opinions welcome. Any differences between the engines I should be thinking about? Slightly more power and torque is always nice but I might never have opportunity to use that last few percent while on the other hand a quieter tractor is probably a nice thing every minute that it's running. Would I ever regret giving up those last 2 HP?

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510 #2  
I think parts availability for the 1700 is better which in and of itself would lead me to keep the 1700 in addition to the lower hours, increased capability, & already has the loader set up.
Rear lift is a matter of lift cylinder diameter, hydraulic pressure, and 3pt arm geometry (leverage).
If I was in the situation, I would swap all the good parts to the 1700 and sell the 1510.

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510 #5  
Yes, keep both,

But I was twisting Ford Wrenches during the 1100-2100 and change over to the 1210-2110 era. The XX10 series were just improvement over the 1XXX series Shibaura built tractors in 1983.

Sheet Metal changes mostly, and the Syncro'd Shuttle Shift tranny availability.

If I had to sell 1? The 1700 already has the Loader, so no swapping needed, and less hours, and more weight n HP.

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510 #6  
Hey guys, first post. I've been googling and searching this for months and I'm still at a loss, so finally decided to just pose the question outright and see what folks more knowledgeable/experienced than me have for suggestions. Basically I have the two tractors mentioned, and need to get rid of one. They are very similar, and I think each would do what I need. So this is a question of nitpicking which is "best" between the two. I guess part of this is that I'm wondering if there's some factor I'm completely overlooking that makes this a not-so-nuanced comparison. Here we go:

For background, I recently moved to a 5 acre wooded property and I've always wanted a tractor, so I bought a Ford 1700 a year ago. I am totally new to tractors but I work with wrenches and other mechanical things for a living so I'm sure I can figure out how to do any "home-mechanic" type work eventually. The 1700 has a loader and loaded R1 tires and everything seems to work and it only has 200hrs on the meter (which actually seems probably accurate from what I can tell). I kind of love it. Before long I started looking for implements and came across a deal I couldn't pass up, a Ford 1510 with a handful of implements I wanted at a great price. So I picked that up too thinking I would do some easy cosmetic stuff and just resell the tractor to basically pay for the implements. The 1510 has around 1200 hrs, seems to have been gently used, turf tires in good condition. Along the way I got to thinking maybe the 1510 is actually the better tractor for me, and that's where the indecision sets in. I have reasonable-but-not-infinite amounts of money and time to put into this whole venture, trying to do things with some degree of moderation although that means different things to different people.

What I foresee as my tractor "needs"
1. Having fun/playing.
2. Firewood on my own property - Skidding trees out of the woods, moving sawlogs around, brush/toppings cleanup, towing an ATV-style log trailer around.
3. Snow removal - probably plowing a 1/2mile of straight, level dirt road at most, maybe stacking snow in my 400ft driveway if we really get dumped on and my smaller stuff cant handle it. Maybe add a 3PH snowblower if I ever find a smoking deal on a mechanic's special I want to tackle. I should also mention I have garden tractor plows and walk behind snowblower for light snowfalls.
4. Tilling a small vegetable garden
5. Moving pallets around.
6. Light dirt moving and general utility loader work.
7. Occasional trailering to other locations.

Similarities between tractors
1. Similar HP, 22 (1510) vs 24ish (1700)
2. Similar age and condition (1700 is a few years older, but 1000less hours and slightly better condition overall)
3. Both 4WD 12-speed gear drive with diff lock
4. Both Shibaura-built
5. Neither have ROPS
6. Identical FEL weight capacities (when equipped)

Significant(?) differences
1. 2cyl (1700) vs 3cyl (1510). The
2. Rear lift 3800lbs at pins (1700) vs 1400lbs (1510). I'm not sure I believe this but I've seen the numbers listed several places
3. Operating weight unballasted ~2400lbs (1510) vs ~2600lbs (1700). As currently set up I think 1700 is well over 1500lbs heavier with wheel weights, filled tires, FEL.
4. Controls layout. 1700 has range and gear levers on the transmission hump, 1510 has the same range selector but gear selector is on the steering column.
5. Front end design. I can't figure out if this matters, but they are completely different-looking designs.
6. Accessories. 1700 has Ford 770 loader, double 100(?)lb wheel weights on each wheel. 1510 has a cool suspension seat. I'm mostly sure all of these are just bolt-on swappable as is.
7. Wheels/Tires. The 1700 rear wheels are corroded and have weld repairs, and the R1 tires dig up everything they drive over unless it is paved or frozen. 1500 has wide turf tires that are easier on my lawn than almost everything else I own, including my 600lb ATV. Obviously the much lower weight of the 1500 has something to do with this too. In the woods the R1s dig through the loamy soil until they hook up and I go where I'm pointed. The turf tires kind of mold around/over rocks and roots and whatever I'm on and I go where I'm pointed. Afterwards a blind man could follow the ruts left by the R1s while the turfs just sort of compress the leaves a little.
8. 1510 has 1.1gal more fuel capacity (5.8 vs 6.9gal). With my usage patterns I have to refuel about 1 time per season.
9. 1510 runs noticeably smoother and quieter, especially noticeable at idle. As the operator I wear hearing protection and don't care about noise, but I do have neigbors and they might. I do often "work" late into the night or early in the morning.
10. 1700 is oil bath air filter, 1510 is conventional filter element.
11. The 1510 has a marginally nicer hood latching and opening system to my preference.

Potential courses of action I'm considering:
1. Sell the 1510 after maybe taking the nice suspension seat bracket off it and doing some cleaning, lubricating, replacing adjustment springs, etc.
2. Swap the 770 loader onto the 1510 and sell the 1700. The 1510 lists 770A and 770B (NOT 770) as compatible loaders but from what I can tell the only important differences are holes in different places on the rear mounting bracket.
3. Go with 1 or 2, after swapping the wheels and tires. The rears seem interchangeable, the fronts have a different bolt pattern so I'd have to probably buy 4 new front wheels at a minimum to go this route.
4. Sell the 1700 as equipped, buy and/or buy+modify a loader to fit the 1510. Ideally I'd like a removable loader and I'd also like the convenience of more modern joystick hydraulic controls and some extra quick-connect hydraulic circuits for a grapple, tilt+ pivot plow, hydraulic top link, or whatever other cool stuff I don't even know about yet.
5. Give up on this whole old tractor thing and just buy a newish used 1025R or whatever similar Kubota.
6. Something else I haven't considered yet.

So that's about everything I can think of. Any thoughts/opinions? Is one tractor significantly "better" in any real objective way? Better for the use case I'm proposing? I read that the 1510 control layout was supposedly a major ergonomic improvement but had mixed reviews and some people hate it. Honestly the ergonomics don't seem any better or worse or anything, just different - reach over here to shift vs reach over there. And I can't figure out why anyone would hate it. Also I read that some front ends were notoriously weak, but don't know if I should worry about that (since I have options). The rear lift capacity of 3x more on the 1700 seems noteworthy but with essentially identical frames I can't find a reason it should be so much higher. Maybe it's a misprint or maybe the Shibaura engineers caught on and reigned in the marketing literature people somewhere between those two model years? There's a 200lb weight difference between the two tractors so something must be beefier somewhere on the 1700 but nothing stands out to me. What do you guys think? What am I missing or not thinking about? All thoughtful opinions welcome. Any differences between the engines I should be thinking about? Slightly more power and torque is always nice but I might never have opportunity to use that last few percent while on the other hand a quieter tractor is probably a nice thing every minute that it's running. Would I ever regret giving up those last 2 HP?
I have 6 tractors (1965 to 2007 yearmodels, 25-65 HP), 4 of which are in the 45-50 hp class and 2 of those I purchased last year with me already having 2 of them. I am 82 and have diverse chores and do things for neighbors which adds to the diversity. Hooking up implements at my age, working alone, is an undesirable chore.

I have 2 hay pastures, spring and fall crops and when haying I use different implements on all of them.

In short, you never have enough tractors and if you sold one and the other is down for some reason you don't have a tractor to do what needs to be done.

My advice, with my trying to learn how to farm since 1979, is to keep both!!!!!!!!!

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510 #7  
Look at your loader mounts carefully. They may need modified to swap to another tractor. That would depend on your skills and tools.

You might also consider whether tires and wheels can be swapped between tractors,

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510
Hahha, thanks for the advice everyone. Confession: I don't have 2 tractors. I have a few more than 2 as well. Besides the Fords, I have a Pasquali 986 articulating tractor which is quite a bit lighter but I think it's 23-ish HP as well, and I mainly use it for skidding logs as it is incredibly maneuverable and honestly a little too much for me to comfortably handle doing anything other than just trying to drive and not flip or hit things. I also have three Cub Cadet wide frames in various states of reconstruction, one of them is my main plowing/snowthrowing/wagon pulling/riding around machine and restoring another is currently my main consumer of discretionary time. Last I have a John Deere/Sabre lawn tractor which is currently my only functional mower and is also high on the list for the chopping block once I get a mowing setup onto one of the Cubs. I do think culling the flock a bit is the right thing to do, because 1) I'm running out of parking space, and 2) I need a few less distractions and a little bit of consolidation of the tractor budget so I can actually fix and properly care for the tractors I keep. Seems like the consensus is generally that the 1700 is probably the right answer.
Last night we had a snowstorm much bigger than forecasted and at 6 this morning I woke up to about 10" of heavy wet snow. I shoveled my way to the garage, then pulled out the 2-stage walk behind snowblower. After about 15 feet I shut it down and went back to try the BIG walk-behind snowblower. That couldn't handle it either, so I went to the barn and fired up the 1700, thinking I probably wouldn't even make it to the driveway, there being about 18" total of snow on the not-well-prepared path through the woods. Kicking myself for not pre-staging the tractor for the forecasted storm but the 1700 just churned through that snow, through all the brush from the downed trees, through the 14" deep slush pond that had formed in a low spot (under all that snow), and went to work. When it was said and done I had piled snow 5' high in some places, I finally figured out how to use the loader float function properly, I feel much more familiar with shifting efficiently, and I think I finally got the hang of modulating down pressure to balance getting a good scrape and having enough front tire pressure to steer when needed. I tried to break out the cub cadet with the plow to finish driveway cleanup but even with the bulk of the snow gone I couldn't maintain traction enough to get around. So the 1700 did all the cleanup too. I think I'd decided that's the one I'm keeping even before I saw all your responses. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Anyone looking to pick up a Ford 1510? Central NH.

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510
Look at your loader mounts carefully. They may need modified to swap to another tractor. That would depend on your skills and tools.

You might also consider whether tires and wheels can be swapped between tractors,
Good point, thanks. The mounts definitely would need to be modified to swap the loader but it looks fairly minor and within my capability. The rear wheels look swappable, fronts are different bolt patterns and I think different backspacing too. I think I'm now decided that I'm going to keep the 1700 with the loader but speaking of this stuff, I would like someday to figure out a quick-release loader mount. I think I've seen a 770B on a 1520 (or maybe 1510 hydrostatic?) that was basically just clamped to pins front and back. Is that a factory setup? how feasible would it be to convert a 770 loader to this style? Is there another style of quick release loader I should look at?

The reason I am interested in this is that there are places on my property that the tractor with loader just won't fit. I understand the hydraulics would need to be dealt with somehow, but I have plans to tackle that at some point anyway, as I want a 3rd function and most of the hydraulic hoses will all need to be replaced before long. I also have a welder and a plasma cutter and as long as it's all mild steel or at least not some exotic material I can do the fabrication if necessary, but I'm not really too keen on coming up with my own design for something like this. I'm good enough to copy something that works well, though.

/ Ford 1700 vs Ford 1510 #10  
I believe the loader on my Ford 1715 is pretty easy to remove, although I haven't done it. Two large pipe like mounts on the transmission below the dash. I think the loader simply detaches from that, then somehow peals off from the rest... well, at least in theory.
I like to keep my loader at about 3' off the ground for stability when working, then I'll raise it to clear obstructions, or shorten my maneuvering space. So I never really felt I was someplace where I couldn't maneuver the tractor.

As far as wheel offset, that is different for tractors than cars. Many tractor wheels are designed to be reversible, or demountable and can be made wider or narrower. If one lives on a hill, or uses the loader a lot, then it is common to set the wheels as wide as possible. If it is flat, and mainly utility work, then some people will set them narrow so the tractor takes up less space. You can also add spacers if you can find (or make) them. Your turf tires are wider than the R1.