Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #31  
Mark.. as long as you keep up on the maintenance, oil, filters, grease.. etc.
it “should” give u a few years of trouble free usage..
If u think finding parts for the Ford was next to impossible AND expensive, wait for the day that Kioti needs repairing..
Stay on top of the fuel filters.!!
Glad u found something you like..

Thanks!! I really enjoy it. I have no need for a tractor, so it’s a toy mostly. My church told me to quit donating so much money, so I paid cash for the tractor to help maintain the church grounds and that way I can donate my time too. Volunteering sure breaks up the tedium of being independently wealthy.

Have a blessed day, brother!

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #32  
Tell me about it.. I retired 5-6 yrs ago and haven’t had a day off since.!!
I tell’m, if I wanted a job, I wouldn’t have retired. 😆

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?
Hey gentlemen, thanks a whole lot for all the great replies. This community is pretty awesome. I am in the "I would like to have it but can go without it boat". I am going to keep my eyes on it for the simple reason of my neighbors having free implements and such. I would like to have one to accomplish some tasks around my property but I have went without one forever and can keep on going.

I am still trying to look into something newer but I always go back and end up looking at Ventrac's when I do. The new price tag since Toro took over makes it a hard pill to swallow.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #34  
Curious why you are looking at the two extremes. Cheap and not as useful vs. expensive and useful. There is a third option. For 8 to 10k get a used subcompact tractor with a loader. They are out there and some could be financed if you need to.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?
Curious why you are looking at the two extremes. Cheap and not as useful vs. expensive and useful. There is a third option. For 8 to 10k get a used subcompact tractor with a loader. They are out there and some could be financed if you need to.
A Ventrac has just always been on my wish list. I have always wanted one and admittedly wish I would have bought one years ago before the price hike. I have mowed slopes my entire life and realized there was more money in it than flat simple properties. I went back and forth for a long time between a 3000 series and 4000 series Ventrac. Since then the 3000 series has been nearly completely discontinued. Anyway I wanted something that could help me mow some of the slopes I am on and have the potential to move on to bigger slope mowing jobs.

I have been lucky enough to keep my yards over the last decade where a lot of people have lost theirs to say "kids looking to make an extra buck" to people that are out of work and looking to make money anyway they can. Not knocking on either of these because I was the "kid looking to make an extra buck" when I started. One of the reasons that I have been able to keep mine is I have done my best to stay reliable and I figured out people trust experience when it comes to slopes. They do not want the neighborhood kid or someone just looking to get by placing themselves in a dangerous situation.

Over the years I learned a lot about mowing hills with a zero turn. So I guess there was less urgency for something like a Ventrac. Anyway that is the main reason for the extreme. Is I wanted something that was slope capable but I could potentially do everything else I wanted to do. I live on the Shenandoah River near Harpers Ferry, so everything here is literally a slope lol.

If you want me to add more to this when I first started I was looking at 4WD tractors and I was lucky enough to have a man that was like a mentor to me steer me in the right direction. Most of the yards I mow have a lot of obstacles in them and they are nearly impossible to mow with a tractor, even a small one with a 60" deck creates complications. The biggest purchase I ever made (other than my truck) was a special order Ferris with a 52" deck. The frame I bought came standard with a 60" deck. I had an awesome dealer that tracked down a 52" which seemed to be very rare in 2015.

EDIT:
The only reason I was considering the 1700 is like you already pointed out I looked at it as an opportunity to get into something. Potentially be able to learn more, then when I really wanted or needed a Ventrac for something I could turn around and maybe make a profit off the 1700 and implements to put it towards something like a Ventrac.