Loader float system

/ float system #23  
The loader won't go below the tire bottom unless it's in float position.

Yes it will, after I hits the ground keep holding down, it will lift the tires off the ground.

/ float system #24  
Your question was the was I read it why isn't there something to stop it from lowering. If pushing why would it lower on it's own unless in float ?

/ float system #25  
Your question was the was I read it why isn't there something to stop it from lowering. If pushing why would it lower on it's own unless in float ?

Sorry I misunderstood your answer. Yes if it's not in float it will stay put. I guess my question is more why can it ever go blow the tires because it makes float useless for almost anything other than back dragging. When you are pushing a very light load it will follow the contour of the ground (to some degree) if that load increases the front end lifts off the ground and you loose traction.

/ float system #26  
Sorry I misunderstood your answer. Yes if it's not in float it will stay put. I guess my question is more why can it ever go blow the tires because it makes float useless for almost anything other than back dragging. When you are pushing a very light load it will follow the contour of the ground (to some degree) if that load increases the front end lifts off the ground and you loose traction.

When if float the oil in the lift cylinders can move back and forth between rod end and base end of the cylinder. When bucket touches the ground, there is still some available travel room in the cylinder for the rod to retract inward. While going forward if bucket sliding across the ground reaches point of "high" resistance to slide the forward push of the tractor makes the cylinder rod push in, moving oil from base end to rod end, and this raises front wheels off the ground. Float is not intended, by design, to be used going forward.

/ float system #27  
When if float the oil in the lift cylinders can move back and forth between rod end and base end of the cylinder. When bucket touches the ground, there is still some available travel room in the cylinder for the rod to retract inward. While going forward if bucket sliding across the ground reaches point of "high" resistance to slide the forward push of the tractor makes the cylinder rod push in, moving oil from base end to rod end, and this raises front wheels off the ground. Float is not intended, by design, to be used going forward.

I understand how it works, I didn't know it was not intended for forward use. That essentially answers the question, I was trying to use it wrong and because of that it didn't work very well. But that still doesn't tell me why there is no stopper to hold the bucket at ground level and take all the stress off of the pins and loader towers and redirect it into the front of the frame.

/ float system #28  
Apsterbobed what I've found helpful when leveling back bladeing is to do it with a full bucket in float & practice getting the right angle of the bucket. eg just a hair lower on the front edge of the bucket or level. the added weight pulls the top off any humps this works well with leveling new gravel on a driveway or in loose dirt.

Last edited:
   / float system #29  
For one thing, its called a loader, not a digger. A loader is a very bass ackwards impliment. On normal equipment like a forklift, the llifting part is over the beef axle, not the weak complex expensive axles. Also the heavy engine is at the other end of the machine for ballast. Loaders are an afterthought impliment on a machine designed for pulling, not lifting.

If you look at the 3pt, its designed properly (beefy axle, ballast on opposite end, etc). If you want to grade with a tractor, get a box blade on your 3pt, it will work properly.

A loader is designed for lifting & loading loose material, not digging & grading. I'll occasionally use it for a bit if light grading if I'm lazy, but its usually faster to grab the box blade (or turn around as it usually on).

/ float system #30  
I understand how it works, I didn't know it was not intended for forward use. That essentially answers the question, I was trying to use it wrong and because of that it didn't work very well. But that still doesn't tell me why there is no stopper to hold the bucket at ground level and take all the stress off of the pins and loader towers and redirect it into the front of the frame.

Because sometimes you need to dig below the grade of the front tires.