Fixing a bent axle?

/ Fixing a bent axle? #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I have a pretty new tandem axle 7500lb car trailer that I either overloaded it (probably) or hit something, that ended up making a skewed LR tire/wheel. No pic handy, but it has pretty good negative camber and some toe out. It wore out the inner tread of the tire, not quite to the cords, yet.

Lippert axles, with brakes on both.

Apparently, it's not an unusual issue to have... Rather than buy a new axle, I've seen that these can be "bent back" into alignment. Anyone have experience doing this?

/ Fixing a bent axle? #2  
I have a pretty new tandem axle 7500lb car trailer that I either overloaded it (probably) or hit something, that ended up making a skewed LR tire/wheel. No pic handy, but it has pretty good negative camber and some toe out. It wore out the inner tread of the tire, not quite to the cords, yet.

Lippert axles, with brakes on both.

Apparently, it's not an unusual issue to have... Rather than buy a new axle, I've seen that these can be "bent back" into alignment. Anyone have experience doing this?
Yep, but you have to have something to bend it with. Or you could just replace the axle tube. Or look around for some used heavier axles and replace them. You can sell your original axles too. I plan on using this red axle.

Attachments

• IMG_20230421_093928.jpg
    IMG_20230421_093928.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 93
   / Fixing a bent axle? #3  
Ouch....Not a fan of torsion axles on equipment trailers anyway. They belong on an RV. I much prefer leaf springs.

/ Fixing a bent axle? #4  
A 3500lb axle is prety cheap. Have your spent some time and priced one out?

/ Fixing a bent axle?
It has leaf springs. I have several bottle jacks, decent chains and a 12 ton port-a-power to use. There's a ton of numbers on the Lippert sticker, which don't pop up on any web surfing. I'd need to use the 80" spring perch and 93" hub lengths, to match it up. Found one for $180 (maybe...). I may need to make some calls. I just need the axle tube. I can transfer all the brakes, which would be less dangerous.

/ Fixing a bent axle? #6  
not questioning your bent axle conclusion but I had similar scuffed out tire on a 7k trailer I own.

My investigation was the castle nut holding axle bearings was not tight enough from factory. Wheel wobble due to not enough torque. My fix was a set of new bearings and correct torque on a castle nut and no problems over last 5 years. I simply jacked up my trailer and shook each wheel and I quickly new something was wrong.

hope your fix is as easy as mine.

/ Fixing a bent axle? #7  
To me, most important questio, how will I know when I've got it straight?

I can envision some redneck ways but there'd be no way to ensure it's straight without risking another tire. :)

/ Fixing a bent axle?
Wheel/hub is tight. Turns out, Dexter Axle (ex Redneck Trailer Supplies) has a warehouse/distribution center only 20 miles from me in rural Hampton, IA (!). I just drove over there with my Lippert #'s and they had a Dexter axle in stock (and only $165) and tossed in the spring perches. He said that all the Lippert brgs/hubs will transfer fine. No re-bending. Problem solved, once I R&R, weld, and rewire. I had a new spare tire, which will now be swapped...

Last edited:
   / Fixing a bent axle? #9  
Best solution for sure.

/ Fixing a bent axle? #10  
Dexter is much better quality than Lippert is anyway. If you follow any RV forums (like I do), you'll soon discover that Lippert stuff is basically junk, kind of like the 'China Bomb' tires that RV builders use.