Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help

/ Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
1999 Corn Pro 2 horse GN trailer

Pull with a 2006 F350 diesel dually

I recently purchased this trailer at auction, and as I am looking it over, I see now that I need new drum and electric brake assemblies.

4 tires with 6 lugs
Brake assembly connects to axle with 4 bolts
10” drum assembly - rusted beyond reason
Hub assembly worn and inner bearing completely shot.

I have decided I want to completely overhaul all assemblies after pulling 2 drums both of which look like they were dunked in the Gulf of Mexico for a couple years.

I would like to just buy a full replacement kit for each axle, but therein lies the rub. I have 2 - 3500lb axles but I have 6 lug rims. Now, these rims are in bad shape from rust, and I have been thinking of completely doing away with them. I believe they are 15”.

What are my options for purchase of a good reasonable kit/s for this setup? The major hang up seems to be 6 lugs on 3500 lb axles with 4 bolt connection.

I have changed a lot of hubs and brake pads, but I致e never ran into this type of situation before. I would rather do this myself, given I have about 10,000 other things to on which to spend $$$.

I see a set on Amazon, but have no experience on what to choose/avoid. The price seems too good, so I am here, hoping for guidance.

1BDF8F5D-2610-42D0-BF56-B57487F7DDF7.jpeg1B6B442C-206C-4442-B30A-D92F1F368E44.jpegF17FB820-835E-44D1-AA36-F25EA26EFA7D.jpegBBE16E5D-2A4B-4D4E-B303-8A08D40FBE1D.jpeg969B3916-50CD-4291-8915-7DDC943C86E1.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help #2  
Etrailer.com has what you seek.

/ Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help #4  
Most 3500 axles I see have 5 lug wheels. I don't think there would be any harm going that route.

/ Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help
Set of Dexter parts is roughly $450 for both axles.

Set of aftermarket from eTrailer is roughly $300.

Is there a 50% cost, real world benefit to going with Dexter?

/ Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help #7  
If you can find proper 4 bolt assemblies, I would go with 12 vs 10 brakes. The cost difference is minimal and braking is vastly improved.

I haven稚 done a search, but 12 might only come in 5 bolt backers.

/ Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help #8  
If you can find proper 4 bolt assemblies, I would go with 12 vs 10 brakes. The cost difference is minimal and braking is vastly improved.

I haven稚 done a search, but 12 might only come in 5 bolt backers.
And only 6 or 8 lug on 12

/ Axle, brake drum, brake kit replacement help #9  
I purchased the parts and converted my landscape trailer to electric brakes. Got the rear axle done, as well as the trailer wired with breakaway kit and new 7 pin connector.

I talked to some folks at a local trailer shop that repaired everything from small landscape trailers up to semi trailers. Staff was really knowledgeable. Just had to let them know if it was 5 or 6 lug and the bolt pattern whether it was 4", 5" ect.... They even sent me home with a gauge that you just punched put the holes that matched the studs fir easy figuring.

It was 35$ per brake assembly, $75 for hub assembly which included bearings, wheel seal, lug nuts, and two styles of axle cover. They were short two of the hubs, so I'll pick them up Tuesday or Wednesday along with the brake assemblies for the front axle.

It came to $330 for the two hubs, 2 brake assemblies, breakaway kit (battery box, brake away w/ cable) 15ft of 7 wire trailer wire, and 7 pin rv plug. Looking at another $230 plus tax for the two hubs and brake assemblies for the front axle. UT at least everything is already wired so I just have to tie in the two brake assemblies and swap hubs :D