Buying Advice First Tractor

/ First Tractor #41  
First tractor was a 1962 Farmall 504 diesel. I put a new Koyker loader on it in 2008? Still have that tractor.

CT

/ First Tractor #42  
I am looking for 4wd tractor with a loader.

I have just under 9 acres, about half wooded, and would like to run the following attachments:
  • Tiller
  • Wood splitter
  • Box blade
  • Wood chipper

I believe I need 20-25 HP at the PTO to run the tiller.

Eventually I may want to use other attachments so would prefer to not limit myself, but I don't have enough knowledge to know how to mitigate that.

I would prefer something old that can effectively/easily run a loader without custom work (welding up custom brackets, third party hydraulics, etc).

The reason I want to go with something old is price, I don't have $35K+ to drop.
The flip side to buying used is that you need mechanical skills to keep them running (more so than with a new one). Sadly, I am not gifted in that way. As others have said, you picked a bad time to want a used tractor. I am going to buy new.

/ First Tractor #43  
The flip side to buying used is that you need mechanical skills to keep them running (more so than with a new one). Sadly, I am not gifted in that way. As others have said, you picked a bad time to want a used tractor. I am going to buy new.

For non-commercial use, I'd argue the only skills needed to keep a solid 80s-90s vintage diesel tractor going are the ability to change fluids, replace filters, and find/grease zerks. That's been my personal experience over the last year and a half with my two fords and around 600 hours of not exactly easy work. Similar situation for the old man I work with and his deeres over the last 5 years.

/ First Tractor #44  
For non-commercial use, I'd argue the only skills needed to keep a solid 80s-90s vintage diesel tractor going are the ability to change fluids, replace filters, and find/grease zerks.
Maybe add skills to store it out of the weather. :cool:

You are correct, the old girls run pretty much trouble free if you do what you describe.