Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #611  
You forgot soil remediation from all that leaking oil. You can tell those in favor are not farmers. Internet research .
Yet every wind farm in Indiana is on farm land. How could that be? :unsure:

Because farmers are leasing their lands and approve of the projects.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #612  
Very interesting map. I would love to use it in class. Unfortunately, its last update was in 2021. Our new plant is not listed.
I saw that one of the local solar farms isn't on it yet, either. A lot can happen in 2 years.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #613  

Yeo, Renting it out to harvest wind pasys far better than any crop they could grow.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #614  

Some people will do anything to make a buck. A Mennonite farmer friend has been offered $millions for his farm, he says he would rather have farm than money, he's the exception.
A neighbor here was approached by a cell tower installer, signed an agreement since the money would put his kids through college. Once he found out neighbors were opposed he changed his mind.
Most people never reason things out.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #615  
Some people will do anything to make a buck. A Mennonite farmer friend has been offered $millions for his farm, he says he would rather have farm than money, he's the exception.
A neighbor here was approached by a cell tower installer, signed an agreement since the money would put his kids through college. Once he found out neighbors were opposed he changed his mind.
Most people never reason things out.
See, that's the beauty of the wind lease. Unlike your friend who was offered money for his farm, and would no longer have his farm, the wind farm leases means the farmer keeps their land.

Also, they're doing a service to the community by creating temp construction jobs, a few full time jobs, and generating huge taxes for the community VS the piddly amount that farming crops would bring.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #616  
Then negotiate that in the lease or bond. Or choose to not lease. Land owner’s choice.
There have been people who did not lease. I mentioned that already.Texas actually has a statute the spells out the details of clean up as a starting point and provides that the basics are non-voidable between the landowner and lessee/operator. It requires a bond but every situation will be different. I'm going to be seeing one of the drafters of that legislation in the next couple days and I'll ask some questions about the cost/amounts of the bonds.

As far as landowners choice it is too easy for operators to take advantage of some landowners who later come to regret their decisions.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #617  
See, that's the beauty of the wind lease. Unlike your friend who was offered money for his farm, and would no longer have his farm, the wind farm leases means the farmer keeps their land.

Also, they're doing a service to the community by creating temp construction jobs, a few full time jobs, and generating huge taxes for the community VS the piddly amount that farming crops would bring.
In life it's much better looking at ALL aspects.
Ok...I have a farm. Acme Corp shows up " we'll pay you $5,000 month to put up a windmill. Only takes up 100 sq.ft., we'll remove everything...yadda-yadda, sign here.
Now...$50K would be taxed income. Suppose they install & go belly up? Suppose 100s gallons oil leaks out? A road to it for maintenance, effects on your livestock? The noise, lights, who's responsible something happens? How it affects your insurance, property taxes, neighbors? We HAVE an infrastructure that works...why do I (we) need it?
In your world I plant crops all around it...except for the access road...oil, parts/birds fall on my crops.
There are two worlds...the God created natural rural land and the man created technological urban land. I live in the country for a reason. Mixing the two is my idea of he((.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #618  
In life it's much better looking at ALL aspects.
Ok...I have a farm. Acme Corp shows up " we'll pay you $5,000 month to put up a windmill. Only takes up 100 sq.ft., we'll remove everything...yadda-yadda, sign here.
Now...$50K would be taxed income. Suppose they install & go belly up? Suppose 100s gallons oil leaks out? A road to it for maintenance, effects on your livestock? The noise, lights, who's responsible something happens? How it affects your insurance, property taxes, neighbors? We HAVE an infrastructure that works...why do I (we) need it?
In your world I plant crops all around it...except for the access road...oil, parts/birds fall on my crops.
There are two worlds...the God created natural rural land and the man created technological urban land. I live in the country for a reason. Mixing the two is my idea of he((.

You get a lawyer that specializes in windmills to write the lease to cover all concerns. Just like people do in oil and gas well leases.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #619  
Then negotiate that in the lease or bond. Or choose to not lease. Land owner’s choice.

After 30 years it will likely be a different landowner, and somebody else’s problem.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #620  
Solyndra anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.