Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #601  
Maybe, maybe not. Most are being converted to NG which makes a great deal of sense considering we have so much of it compared to windmills and solar panels which require land acquisition, new infrastructure and a lot of foreign built parts. Then it doesn’t work if it’s dark (solar) or if there’s no wind (windmills).
I have seen both ways with new gas plants: conversion of coal plants, and abandonment of coal plants to build new gas turbine facilities.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #602  
This mornings picture of my abutter.

Guarantees me 22 more years of peace an quiet .

Land went from a 25000 tax bill as agriculture to a 200000 as a solar farm, which is another plus .
4B5EC70D-7D6F-4500-BD2F-9A1384032698.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #604  
Here's a rabbit hole for everyone's enjoyment...
Interactive map of the US energy infrastructure and resources. Pretty interesting.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #605  
Right. Something like that you CANNOT easily get rid of. People who think otherwise don’t know what they are talking about. Here are some o the things that need to be done to reclaim and remediate a wind farm:
Someone would have to safely clear, clean, and remove:
 each wind turbine generator, each substation, all liquids contained in a generator or substation, and each installed overhead power or communications line;
 each tower and pad-mount transformer foundation from the ground at least three feet from the grade of the affected land; and
 each buried cable installed in the ground at least three feet below the grade of the affected land.
The agreement would have to provide that, at the request of the landowner, the grantee would clear, clean, and remove each road constructed on the property. If reasonable, the agreement also would have to provide that the grantee, at the request of the landowner, would remove all rocks over 12 inches in diameter excavated during the decommissioning process, return the property to a tillable state using certain methods, and return the surface as near as possible to the same condition as before the grantee dug holes.
For the removal of towers, pad-mount transformers, buried cables, roads, and excavated rocks, the grantee would have to ensure that holes created by the removal were filled with topsoil.

Expensive is not enough of a word for it.
You forgot soil remediation from all that leaking oil. You can tell those in favor are not farmers. Internet research .

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #606  
Yeah, but he doesn’t have to mow around windmills If he doesn’t lease out his land. It’s his choice, so what is he complaining about?
Not complaining at all but simply pointing out facts in opposition. One example: his friend buys an EV that gets dinged so takes it to a body shop. They smell smoke...EV is burning. Body shop calls manufacturer who tells them what cables to cut. The car later is burning so fire department comes out...thousands of gallons water. Body shop calls customer to get EV off their lot which he does. Manufacturer won't cover it nor will insurance so it's sitting in a junk yard while he makes payments on it.
Eviscerate me...go for it...

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #608  
You forgot soil remediation from all that leaking oil. You can tell those in favor are not farmers. Internet research .

Yet it is farmers/ranchers signing up for the leases?

Just because some on here aren’t fans, doesn’t mean all landowners aren’t fans.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #609  
Not complaining at all but simply pointing out facts in opposition. One example: his friend buys an EV that gets dinged so takes it to a body shop. They smell smoke...EV is burning. Body shop calls manufacturer who tells them what cables to cut. The car later is burning so fire department comes out...thousands of gallons water. Body shop calls customer to get EV off their lot which he does. Manufacturer won't cover it nor will insurance so it's sitting in a junk yard while he makes payments on it.
Eviscerate me...go for it...

Sounds like an insurance claim to me.

If the body shop laid a finger on it, probably their insurance. If not, EV owners insurance.

Ever see an ICE engulfed in flames on the side of the road? Insurance covered that.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #610  
Here's a rabbit hole for everyone's enjoyment...
Interactive map of the US energy infrastructure and resources. Pretty interesting.

Very interesting map. I would love to use it in class. Unfortunately, its last update was in 2021. Our new plant is not listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.