Farmall 120C

/ Farmall 120C #21  
Could'nt tell you on a 105C but many that used different shafts for the 540 and 1000 the shafts will engage different drive gears in the pto housing.
Many will have a large snap ring holding the shaft in just removing the snap ring and swapping the shafts got the correct gearing selected for the shaft splines, 540 rpm being a 6 spline 1 3/8" shaft and 1000 rpm being a 21 spline 1 3/8 shaft.

Many tractors with the electro hydraulic 4wd activation turn it on when both brake pedals are depressed together, just using one brake pedal it usually does not engage. I'm surprised it comes on when turning. Nice to have when parking also. I wonder if that one functions like some of the older IH's that actually used hydraulics to disengage the 4wd clutch pak. I always liked that system as it holds better in park and a failure will have you in 4wd rather then 2wd.

Last edited:
   / Farmall 120C #22  
So far it has been pretty nice. Quieter. The air ride seat it pretty awesome. So far I have not been able to do a lot with it other than drive around the desert that is north Texas right now and some light loader work.
The loader is quite fast!
Have to figure out this MFD. I notice when I slow down, turning, parking etc the 4wd light comes on… book does not really say much about how it works.
It’s really nice having the extra weight, power etc…
I noticed there was another pto shaft in the tool box. Could that be a 1000 pto shaft? Mine only has the 540, didn’t have the 540 E option on that particular tractor, would have liked it but.. Does the 1000 pto have to have a lever to switch it like you do the 540E?
What that indicator light mean is when you let off the accelerator or stomp on the brakes, the tractor deploys the 4WD front axle. This gives you additional engine braking to the front axle. So lets say you are descending down a dirt hill. The front axle will be engaged and just like the rear axle, it’ll bite into the soil to slow you down better. Or lets say you are traveling on a road and stomp the brakes, the front axle will become linked to the drivetrain. Instead of free-wheeling and doing nothing, it will become part of the drivetrain and the compression of the engine will help slow the front (and of course rear) wheels down.

As Lou said, the extra stub is for a small 1000 PTO. Common on most tractors above 75HP or more. You have to swap it out with the 540 stub to use 1000 attachments. (Then there’s also a large 1000 PTO. I have these on my square balers).

Read your manual, but some tractors will spew oil when switching stubs. I know my M126/135X would. I have to park with the tractor pointed downhill or a bucket underneath to catch oil. Some do not leak this way.

Last edited:
   / Farmall 120C
LouNY. I guess I should clarify. It’s probably when I press the brakes. I just noticed it when I was backing into the shop and I was turning the wheels and braking. So you and Hay Dude are probably correct. It just comes on when I’m pressing the brakes. I guess that’s in the automatic selection, it’s either on or off or auto and off I should say.
I have not unwrapped the pto shaft that was in the tool box. I’m assuming it’s a 1000 pto shaft. I have seen videos of people swapping them out but what I’m curious about is there no selection in the cab? Like you switch for 540 to 540E. With the 1000 pto you just swap out the pto shaft and the PFM happens and you run 1000 pto equipment with no lever selections basically?

/ Farmall 120C #24  
As far as I know you can't turn the 4wd while braking off.
One thing I try and do when road hauling on paved roads and haveing to brake for a turn, I'll slow down using the brakes then get off them before starting to turn the steering wheel to make the corner. I'm a bit leary of the torque windup in the front axle if brakeing while going through the turn.
I have not heard of anyone having issues with it but I'd rather not find out the expensive way. Slowing down with a heavy load behind you the all wheel braking is nice.
The auto 4wd is supposed to detect rear wheel slippage and engage when needed and disengage when not needed.

Correct, there is no lever or gear changing when swapping from the 540 to the 1000 shaft and back. Once you unwrap the 1000 rpm shaft and pull the 540 shaft you will see the difference in the tractor end which is were it connects to the correct drive gear to provide the correct speed for the installed shaft.
And as mentioned it is helpfull to have the tractor facing downhill when performing the swap.

/ Farmall 120C
Yeah. I was kind of wondering about on paved roads in a sharp turn. I’ll have to mess with it when it comes back. Maybe it’s an on and auto. The book is in the garage and with this heat I can wait a couple hours ha.

I did lean that I do not have an adjustment knob for lowering the 3 point faster or slower. Not sure if it’s taken out because of the air ride seat but there is no adjustment for the speed of gravity lowering.
The only way I could get my arms on the back to go down was to bring the lever all the way up and gravity does it’s job. If I pull the handle up half way and push the handle down, gravity will not work. The bars will not go down. Probably a simple fix. To my dealers credit someone was right out and it’s getting fixed.

/ Farmall 120C #26  
My 75c engages 4wd when the brake is depressed, not ever when turning.

There are 2 controls for the 3 pt raise and lower. The fast control lever, which I don’t use anymore at all, and the height lever, which is what I always use. The fast control lever I have pushed forward all the time. I use the lever next to the draft control. That allows for use of the rear control when not in the seat.

/ Farmall 120C
I will have to look at it when I get it back. I just remember backing into the garage turning the wheel to back it in and using the brake and seeing the light on the dash. The green tractor light up. I was more focused on things around me.
Mine has the lever position for the 3 point. Has a draft control right beside it. Also has a quick raise and lower switch. The book shows a knob under the seat to adjust the gravity lowering. My Kubota had that. Mine does not have that. I get the impression nothing is broke, just and adjustment somewhere they have to do.
Mine is the A model.. man those C models looked really nice. Enjoying yours?

/ Farmall 120C #28  
I will have to look at it when I get it back. I just remember backing into the garage turning the wheel to back it in and using the brake and seeing the light on the dash. The green tractor light up. I was more focused on things around me.
Mine has the lever position for the 3 point. Has a draft control right beside it. Also has a quick raise and lower switch. The book shows a knob under the seat to adjust the gravity lowering. My Kubota had that. Mine does not have that. I get the impression nothing is broke, just and adjustment somewhere they have to do.
Mine is the A model.. man those C models looked really nice. Enjoying yours?
Yes, like it a lot. But it doesn’t have anything to adjust the speed of the lift arms either. Mine is too fast. But I don’t have any implements under 1500 pounds. They fall pretty fast.

/ Farmall 120C
Yes, like it a lot. But it doesn’t have anything to adjust the speed of the lift arms either. Mine is too fast. But I don’t have any implements under 1500 pounds. They fall pretty fast.

I guess with the air ride seats the take it out or don’t put it in. Seems odd.
I guess the only thing that might drive me crazy is the location of the battery on the A models.

/ Farmall 120C

Does yours have the quick lift for the 3 point hitch on yours? Or does anyone else have one of those?