Empty trailer weight

/ Empty trailer weight #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
As some of you know, I have been looking for a 24' gooseneck equipment trailer for some time now. NOT a deck over.

I have a 20+5 dual tandem deck-over. And it's overkill for my MX and my mini ex that weighs about 8k.

The empty trailer weight is 6500 pounds or so...and 8 tires on the ground. It's a tank back there just empty. I can drag dad's 22' bumper pull 12k like it's not even there. So a lighter trailer is one of many reasons to get a new trailer.

However something is a miss here....

Here is a load-trail....24' full width trailer. Sticker says empty weight is north of 6000 pounds. Don't seem right and load trail has no info on their site.
Screenshot_20210626-072821.png
Screenshot_20210626-072832.png

Then I come across this 32' iron bull. Same full width deck and looks equally as good/heavy build quality.
Screenshot_20210626-072858.png

Screenshot_20210626-072913.png

Since the MFG's websites seem entirely lacking on giving a spec that seems rather important....I know options change things, but can anyone shed some real world idea on what these weigh. It seems quite odd that the 24' trailer weighs almost 3000# more than the 32'?

/ Empty trailer weight #2  
My 24' Load Trail weighs 4210 lbs. Has 8" channel frame w/10" frame gooseneck. 16" OC crossmembers plus a couple extras for bolting deck boards. Mine doesn't have the toolbox and the jacks are inboard with a little expanded metal tray for chains, binders etc.. That toolbox probably adds a couple hundred lbs., could be heavier weight channel, different ramps etc. Spare tire, winch plate etc. all add weight.

Just stripped the deck off of mine to replace it and the trailer is COMPLETELY painted/powdered everywhere - no bare metal anywhere. Load Trail uses a built wiring harness too and is secured better than any trailer I've ever looked at. Mine is a 2014 model and if they still make them like mine is, I would definitely buy again.

Another factor I wonder - if they weigh these trailers with new, soaking wet treated lumber it MIGHT lose a bunch of lbs. when it dries out ? I know I'm letting the boards I bought dry out some before installing them - those 16' 2x8s are mighty heavy right now !!!

/ Empty trailer weight
My 24' Load Trail weighs 4210 lbs. Has 8" channel frame w/10" frame gooseneck. 16" OC crossmembers plus a couple extras for bolting deck boards. Mine doesn't have the toolbox and the jacks are inboard with a little expanded metal tray for chains, binders etc.. That toolbox probably adds a couple hundred lbs., could be heavier weight channel, different ramps etc. Spare tire, winch plate etc. all add weight.

Just stripped the deck off of mine to replace it and the trailer is COMPLETELY painted/powdered everywhere - no bare metal anywhere. Load Trail uses a built wiring harness too and is secured better than any trailer I've ever looked at. Mine is a 2014 model and if they still make them like mine is, I would definitely buy again.

Another factor I wonder - if they weigh these trailers with new, soaking wet treated lumber it MIGHT lose a bunch of lbs. when it dries out ? I know I'm letting the boards I bought dry out some before installing them - those 16' 2x8s are mighty heavy right now !!!
I'd be surprised if they actually weigh the trailers for stickering purposes. Rather it's a calculated #

But looking at the two trailers I posted pics of.....how can A 32' (with 10" channel frame) be 3500# and the 24' trailer be 6300? A toolbox, different ramps, and wet deck boards don't nearly double it's weight. Especially when there is 8' less trailer to begin with

/ Empty trailer weight #4  
I'm not up & up on it but when I was looking to buy and researching back in 2014 I found that the channel is rated at lbs. per foot - i.e. 16 lbs/ft, 19 lbs/ft etc. That would make a huge difference right there and might be the difference you're seeing. Then again it could be all a big mistake in advertising ...

/ Empty trailer weight #5  
Well this may not specifically be of much help for that type of trailer I can tell you that a standard cam2 6'x12' 12k dump trailer empty is about 2'400lbs on the scale. I dont think that 3,500lb number is correct.

/ Empty trailer weight #6  
Trailer manufacturers like to play around with the numbers. Like 14K rated trailers with 6K axles. So that 3.5K could be axle weight but the trailer weighs 4.5K so it starts with 1K tongue weight.

/ Empty trailer weight
I agree. I think 3500# is low for a 32' trailer especially the full 102" wide one.

I have been looking for a 24-26' trailer. Most of the MFG's that publish full specs are between 3500-4000# for that length. Depending on options.

A 3 pound per foot difference in channel iron would amount to maybe 150 pound difference. Tool box, extra jack, tie downs, etc maybe a few hundred more.

But aside from thinking 3500 is too low for a 32'.....I equally think 6300# has to be a misprint for a 24' trailer.

Even optioned to the max....it shouldn't make a 2500-3000 pound difference.

And how in the world do you build a 24' trailer out of 8" channel iron that weighs as much as my deck-over with 12" I-beams, a foot longer, and a pair of dual tandem 12k axles?

/ Empty trailer weight #8  
Have you actually weighed your trailer?

/ Empty trailer weight
Have you actually weighed your trailer?
Are you saying you don't think 6300 pounds for the pictured load trail is NOT unreasonable when most other MFG's are in the 3500-4000 pound range for similar?