Electric Polaris Ranger

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #41  
Xfaxman What kind of winter temps are you operating in? Do you store in a heated area in winter? Just curious how these work in colder climates.

/ Electric Polaris Ranger
Xfaxman What kind of winter temps are you operating in? Do you store in a heated area in winter? Just curious how these work in colder climates.
Very mild winters here: Climate Oklahoma City - Oklahoma and Weather averages Oklahoma City

temp.JPG

Sets on the horse barn porch or in the unheated garage, doesn't stay cold enough, long enough to affect the batteries.

Here is a rare 3 inch snowfall from last February.

P2230016.JPG

P2230019.JPG

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #43  
I love our EV's. Only thing is the rear suspension seems to be very squeaky once it gets muddy a few times. We really try to lubricate all the moving areas in the suspension but almost sounds like its coming from inside the shocks. Just never are able to get rid of the sound. Since we use them for hunting sure would be nice to fix this issue. As for winter if you keep the batteries charged you shouldn't have a issue. Reason I say this is that batteries freeze at certain temps but the more charge they have at any given point in time raises the freeze point. I've seen temps down to -8F in Ohio and cart does fine. Range is reduced a little but just keep it charged and your fine.

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #44  
Thanks, we live in central Wisconsin, not unusual for us to have temps reach -15 or lower in winter. Last couple of years we even had nights quite a bit colder than that. We've got a land pride treker that is gas but we keep having issues with gas getting into the oil. Thought it was fixed after we put a new carb on last year but it sat for a couple months this summer waiting for parts to repair the drive train. Now after its fixed the gas in the oil issue has reappeared. I going to have the carb cleaned again but no idea if that will fix it. It's a great vehicle when it runs right.

I wonder how hard it would be to convert it to electric. Right now it's a 20hp Honda v-twin gas.

-------------------------------

I wonder how hard it would be to convert it to electric. Right now it's a 20hp Honda v-twin gas.

It would be real easy, Take it to a Polaris dealer and trade it in on a EV. :D :thumbsup:

I traded our Bobcat 2200 diesel in on the EV that we have now.

P4040009.JPG

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #46  
It would be real easy, Take it to a Polaris dealer and trade it in on a EV. :D :thumbsup:

I traded our Bobcat 2200 diesel in on the EV that we have now.

LOL, ah but then I would lose my nice big 48"x52" bed in the back for hauling/feeding hay bales and other such things. I'd get a 32"x42" bed instead. :( 16" shorter and 10" narrower.

Right now we use the UTV daily for feeding horses on our track system. (Basically a 1600' long 15'-30' wide track around our pastures that we feed flakes every so far. The horses walk a lot more and it keeps them in much better condition and keeps their hooves in better shape. We load 3-4 bales in the back and there is still room for a person to ride too to throw flakes. I lose much bed space and it will not work nearly as well.

Toughest criteria for me when searching for our replacement UTV is finding ones with larger beds that are more designed for work than play. Gravely Atlas is the best all around one I've found so far but there is squat on the used market and I can't quite choke down the $12-13k starting price right now. If I can't get the motor figured out I'll likely just trade it in on one of those. If the intimidator Truck's had a dump bed instead of a fixed bed they would be my choice hands down.

Last edited:
   / Electric Polaris Ranger #48  
True I could but I'd rather not have to, especially during the winter, we get lots of snow and cold here. I also wouldn't want to overwork the drive train. It's rated for 1500lbs tow capacity though which is pretty good.

The atlas and intimidator are rated 2000 or over. Which would be nice since I have a 325 gallon water wagon I pull around with the tractor now. Would be nice to pull it with the utv instead. I've used my treker to pull it but it really works it and so I quit because I had some drive train components fail on it. I would guess the water wagon fully loaded is about 2800 pounds including the weight of the trailer/tank.

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #49  
For reference the UTV I have now is rated to tow 1200lbs.

The red tilt trailer scaled 1660 on the tires, not much tongue weight. so I don't know the total weight.

Never weighed the other one, but the EV pulls them easily.