Electric Polaris Ranger

/ Electric Polaris Ranger
Can your electric Ranger handle water crossings. Polaris says not deeper than the floorboards, the motor is not waterproof.

PolarisRANGER-EV-12.jpg

It's obvious with combustion you have air intake and exhaust issues. Is there a fully water proof compartment to hold the batteries? No, they are under the seat.

PolarisRANGER-EV-13.jpg

If not, how deep can you get before there is shorting or worse? I'd guess around 18".

I saw another post about your ranger dealing with ease of access. Do you still recommend this unit in general, and for those not so young?

Yep, works well for me at 75. :thumbsup:

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #62  
Thanks for the informative posts.

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #63  
It may also be worth noting the location of your transaxle vent.

It may also be worth noting the location of your transaxle vent.
Yep, I think the front differential vent would be the same as all the ranger mid-size models.

I'll have to check on the rear. I have not read anything about it being a problem, on the Ranger Forums.

PB090007.JPG

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #65  
Bought mine yesterday, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. XFax, I sure hope I have as good of an experience with mine as you have evidently had with yours! I relied heavily on your good experience in making up my mind between the EV, Kubota RTV400 or 900, and Kawa Mules. In the end, we both just REALLY wanted the near-silence.

Planned to buy new, but the local Polaris dealer had a "demo" that just sounded and looked too good to be true (and probably is). He asked $6k for it. He allegedly bought it through a Polaris factory dealer-only auction. 2010 model. 38 hours on the meter. :confused: Supposedly used by the Polaris engineering department for in-factory jaunts/errands. My hunch is that the engineers disabled the hour meter. 38 hours in SIX years???

But everything I inspected looked quite good except for the batteries, which the dealer had just replaced with non-OEM "blems". Don't even fit the hold downs correctly. I figure for the price difference between it and new, I can buy two or three sets of batteries. Tires pretty good, a bit of corrosion/rust but just in a few spots on the battery sub-tray. So hopefully everything else holds up well. It sure runs and rides great. I sure see what you mean by the TORQUE! That sure seems like more than a 30hp motor.

Wish me luck (like you've had)!

Sounds like a good deal, so good luck with the EV :thumbsup:

First thing to check, see if the original battery charger has been replaced with the new style, it will have two cables coming out of the side, not one.

Second thing, change the charging algorithm from 73, to 11 or 71, to prevent boiling the water out of the batteries: Algorithm - Page 3 - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum

Check the electrolyte level once a month, I use a 60 cc syringe with a short piece of vinyl tubing on it to add water.

Lots of good info on that site: Polaris Ranger EV - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #67  
Thanks! It does have two cables on the "output" side. The one ac line input on the opposite side.

I'll change the algorithm today. We won't ever be in a big hurry for quick charging.

I found that the charge status indicator on the dash is out. The one on the side of the charger is working fine, and there's voltage to the dash indicator, but it doesn't light. Looks like about $60 on-line!!! I'll try to convince the dealer to buy me one.

Last edited:
   / Electric Polaris Ranger #68  
I've been reading along on this thread and taking it all in. My only comment is, I cannot see having an electric vehicle in any form, car, 4 wheeler, whatever because it's only a 'feel good' thing and not green at all. Now, if you recharged them with solar panels, that would be green but you plug them in... Into the grid and that grid is supplied by conventional electricity generation for the most part, so it might feel good, but the hydrocarbons and being produced anyway, just not at the point of use.

When they come with solar arrays on the roof, I might consider one, until them, I'll stick with the infernal combustion engine....

Post on however, I like reading the thread.

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #69  
I'm sold on electric UVs! Mostly because they are much better suited for stop and go service. Second, the silence. It's actually surprising how much noise the tires do make.

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #70  
I'm sold on electric UVs! Mostly because they are much better suited for stop and go service. Second, the silence. It's actually surprising how much noise the tires do make.

My Nephew has a Prius and I was joking with him one day.. I told him he needs to go in the 'Portable Welding Business'. I told him I'd splice in a pair of Tweco QD connects to the battery bank. All he needed was a ground cable, clamp, hot cable and stinger and he could do field work on the side...

he wasn't impressed.:D

For what I do, it's not a workable solution (electric UV). Not enough range between charges.

The wife has been bugging me for an EZE Go. I'd want one with a gas motor however.