Electric Polaris Ranger

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #31  
Does this unit use one large battery or is it using 4 separate deep cycle 12v batteries wired in series?

/ Electric Polaris Ranger
Does this unit use one large battery or is it using 4 separate deep cycle 12v batteries wired in series?
It has 8, under the seat, wired with 4 in series, in parallel with the other 4 in series. The 650 Amp Sevcon controller is between the two banks of 4 batteries.
PolarisRANGER-EV-13.jpg

The 30 hp Three Phase AC motor is above the axle.
PolarisRANGER-EV-11.jpg

PolarisRANGER-EV-12.jpg

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #33  
Wow I'm surprised 8 batteries can't get you further than that, the quietness and lack of smell would be awesome. It will be interesting to see how the technology progresses.

Wow I'm surprised 8 batteries can't get you further than that, the quietness and lack of smell would be awesome. It will be interesting to see how the technology progresses.
Yep, range depends on the terrain and how fast you go. It has a three position switch, Low is max torque and 10 MPH, Max is best battery life and 15 MPH, High is 100% power and 25 MPH.

Battery life has never been an issue for the way we use it.

Here is a company doing a conversion to Lithium-Ion batteries: Green Power Lithium Ion Batteries | Batteries for EVs | Photovoltaic Power | BMS | Electric Buses | Solar Power for Industry

Here is another conversion company.
VoltronixUSA said:
Voltronix USA offers a Lithium Ion battery replacement kit for the Polaris Ranger EV. Call today for details! 866-777-2329
voltronixusa.com

Dump trailer full of small pieces of dead wood.
P3280002.JPG

Left the tailgate in, pulled the dump latch, backed up.
P3280006.JPG

Backed up some more, max dump angle! :D
P3280010.JPG

Pulled forward some, gravity is working on the load.
P3280013.JPG

Pulled forward, straight up.
P3280014.JPG

Pulled forward some more, it is empty. :thumbsup:
P3280017.JPG

Latched down, ready for another load.
P3280019.JPG

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #37  
I just have trouble believing a 36v system can provide enough electric power. Does it really have enough torque to climb even moderate hills? I wish they'd made it a 72v system.

Not sure the voltage but I can tell you it has 8 12 volt batteries and in the "Low" setting which equates to the high torque setting you will not stop the tires. I have yet to have them stop. Will only run 12-14 mph but its a tank in the high torque setting. We just went up a very steep bank two days ago that would blow your mind. This machine is a beast. We did switch to a more aggressive tire though which greatly improved the performance.

/ Electric Polaris Ranger #38  
You sure do have some toys :shocked:

Congrats. Cool machine.

Hello Xfaxman,

You probably have done this already as I've seen you on the forums alot but did you change the charger algorithm to 11? If so does the charger still get very hot? I just changed both of our units but haven't looked into this yet?

Hello Xfaxman,

You probably have done this already as I've seen you on the forums alot but did you change the charger algorithm to 11? If so does the charger still get very hot? I just changed both of our units but haven't looked into this yet?

Yep, changed to 11, but it still boiled the water out, but not as bad, so recently changed to 71, since not in a hurry to recharge. The batteries are dry on top now after charging.

Due to the cold weather I didn't even think about checking for a hot charger. Last summer I would sometimes forget to open the hood when charging, so I removed the cord from the dashboard connector. Now I have to open the hood to plug in the charger.

I will have to check to see if it gets hot on 71.

Just realized I never posted the side slope ability of the EV here in this thread, it has been posted many times elsewhere, so for those that haven't seen it, here it is.

This is what 30 degrees of body lean looks like on the back of the dam, a 26.6 degree slope, 50% slope or 2:1 slope.

The hanging tow rope shows true straight up vertical.
PA070001.JPG

PA070004.jpg

PA070006.JPG

slope gradient.JPG

figurex6.jpg