Dump Truck recommendation

/ Dump Truck recommendation #1  

Komrade

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST
I am starting to shop for a dump truck. You can usually find one not for much more than a dump trailer, and my Tacoma can't tow that much, and a dump truck is more manurable.
I need it to be able to haul my Kubota L3430 (about 7k lb with backhoe, plus trailer) and a load (gravel, dirt, wood chips)
I'd like one based on a 1 ton+ truck, bc my tractor can only lift 8 feet, and anything heavy like boulders I plan to
Anything you can recommend for 10k or less? old and ugly don't scare me much, but rusty and leaky is something I will avoid.

So far I seem to find that most 1 tons with dump bodies seem to have weaker/cheapest engines and may not be good to haul and tow.
4x4 also seems to be a rarity, but maybe less of a big deal on a dump truck, although in order to make out of my drive steep drive way typically helps.

Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Dump Truck recommendation #2  
You say weakest, cheapest engines, but check the gearing.

My one ton will pull your house over, just at a leisurely pace.

/ Dump Truck recommendation #3  
Check your insurance company on the yearly increase before you do this.

Not all 1ton dumps are power houses.

/ Dump Truck recommendation #4  
You should probably be looking at 5 ton minimum, you won't be carrying much in a 1 ton.

Once you get into the CDL range you are talking a lot of $$$$ out the door up front for licenses, insurance and inspections before you even turn a key.

/ Dump Truck recommendation #5  
In my opinion an Older GMC 1ton might do the job. I owned one needed some work when I bought it. Bought it for a few hundred over scrap prices. Had the indestructible 5.7 350, coupled to the slightly stronger 4l 80E trans compared to a 60e. Frequently over loaded with gravel and sand hauling on back roads, pulled a 16' equipment trailer with it pretty easily, a derelict 50' mobile home not so much lol. Yes it leaked fluids but not profusely I just checked them all during pre start. Literally got 12mpg loaded or empty. Never bought or used with any attention of making money with it just saving money by being able to do stuff on my own.
Good luck.

Last edited:
   / Dump Truck recommendation #6  
You should probably be looking at 5 ton minimum, you won't be carrying much in a 1 ton.

Once you get into the CDL range you are talking a lot of $$$$ out the door up front for licenses, insurance and inspections before you even turn a key.

I don't think the OP wants a 10 wheeler. Here is a F-600 for reasonable, needs some work. I realize it is in the wrong location for you but gives you something to consider, quality/price.

Dump Truck - heavy equipment - by owner - sale

1675601041004.png

1675601087911.png

/ Dump Truck recommendation #7  
I am starting to shop for a dump truck. You can usually find one not for much more than a dump trailer, and my Tacoma can't tow that much, and a dump truck is more manurable.
I need it to be able to haul my Kubota L3430 (about 7k lb with backhoe, plus trailer) and a load (gravel, dirt, wood chips)

Keep in mind a 1-ton dump truck cannot tow a fully loaded trailer and have a load of gravel dirt will overload the truck. 1-ton dumps are ok for payload in bed or a loaded trailer, but not both unless it’s lightweight material.
I'd like one based on a 1 ton+ truck, bc my tractor can only lift 8 feet, and anything heavy like boulders I plan to
Anything you can recommend for 10k or less? old and ugly don't scare me much, but rusty and leaky is something I will avoid.
at under 10k, with today’s used truck prices, you are looking at slim pickings. Even at 20k, there’s not much that will be newer or very reliable for frequent use. Might be ok for occasional use. If you only have 10k, I’d recommend something like an old Ford or chevy/gmc with low side contractor dump. Your tractor can dump into it, and you could tag it for 25,999 and drive it without a CDL. The little 1-ton dump trucks usually cost more and have low hauling/towing payloads. Just remember your towing limit with a truck like that is 10k or less.
So far I seem to find that most 1 tons with dump bodies seem to have weaker/cheapest engines and may not be good to haul and tow.

That’s because they are usually company owned and they don’t want expensive trucks that get abused by employees. They just want low up front purchase price and the minimum power to get the job done. Most 90’s and early 2000’s single axle dumps were 210HP! But they will get the job done.
4x4 also seems to be a rarity, but maybe less of a big deal on a dump truck, although in order to make out of my drive steep drive way typically helps.

Any tips appreciated.

I just bought an IH7500 with 4WD and it’s going to cost me a lot to get it fixed up for a couple big jobs coming my way. Big 4x4’s are big money.

In your case, I’d try to get by with an older 90’s ford or chevy dump truck with low sides and under CDL (if you don’t have a cdl).
There’s a small possibility you could get something like an older F-450/550 or Ram 4500/5500 with 4WD for cheap-usually with a gas motor. They can tow a decent amount. Maybe have enough capacity on rear axle to have a bed 1/2 full while towing a 10k trailer.

Last edited:
   / Dump Truck recommendation #8  
One more thing my truck was 2wd was able to get a little more traction when needed by raising the dump bed. Could fully load with a old L2850 w Bf 500 loader.
Biggest thing for my occasional use was getting it semi reliable and making it run, drive, stop, and dump.

/ Dump Truck recommendation #9  
I don't think the OP wants a 10 wheeler. Here is a F-600 for reasonable, needs some work. I realize it is in the wrong location for you but gives you something to consider, quality/price.

Dump Truck - heavy equipment - by owner - sale

View attachment 782456
View attachment 782457

I only count 6 wheels on an F-550 or F-600

An F-350 carrying capacity is going to be eaten up by your dump box and hydraulics weight

/ Dump Truck recommendation #10  
I just did a quick search on Craig’s list. Reasonable price for something in the 5 to 7-yard range, that doesn’t look beat to hell, is around $15k. There are a few for $10k and under, but they are pretty beat up.

Most of the single axle, 5 to 7-yd, (no CDL) are ex government rigs which timed out on hours, miles or age. They are in pretty good shape. They were generally sized to tow a small to medium backhoe on a trailer for the small projects those government agencies do.

Generally hydraulic brakes don’t need a CDL, anything with air brakes needs the CDL. There may be a few states who still issue air brake endorsements, with a lowered weight limit. Not sure there are any anymore.