Do backyard tractors need grease?

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #41  
Ya its actually 2 different things. You have 2 speeds, then a grease volume setting. I was referring to the volume setting.

"The M18 Cordless 2-Speed Grease Gun delivers maximum pressure and unmatched versatility, offering an industry leading 10,000 PSI max operating pressure and a patent pending pre-set grease counter that allows service and maintenance professionals to dispense precise amounts of grease."

My dewalt doesn’t have that ability but I see no use for it. Some pins are squirting out with 2 pumps and some pins take 10 pumps. What’s so hard about holding down the trigger until you have the amount of grease you want?

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #42  
I guess the way marketing is headed the next grease gun will be computerized with digital read out and a friendly reminder option that will talk to your smart watch.
Also offshore clones will be available @ $9.99 plus $49. shipping.
Warranty 1 hour or 40,000 kms.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #43  
I

It’s not a Milwaukee M-18 but it gets the job done. ;)
That is one of the early models with the crank instead of the finger hole in the bolt.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #44  
The guy who said grease is cheaper than parts is spot-on. Years ago I bought a little Ford 1700 w/ FEL that had been used hard by a guy who built patios and stone walls. There weren't too many hours on it, but you could measure the slop in the pins with a yardstick. My little 1210 has 2500 hours, the FEL has been greased regularly and the pins are nearly as tight as when new.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #45  
Do home and farm tractors not need grease? Do these tractors come with sealed pins and bushings? Or do farm and home guys just not bother?

Enquiring minds want to know.

We talk about grease a lot! In the last month there was a long thread about the various types of grease and how they interact. Things like as clay based, synthetic, lithium, cadmium base...It gets somewhat technical, but you need to read it. Also we sort of talked about moly, hi film strength, and water resistant greases. Frequency and grease guns get some coverage too.

And more recently we had a thread on the different types of grease zerks. The Kubota has several different thread types, our 310 only seems to have one. But again, it's something you need to know about if you do a lot of greasing.

Yep, we talk about greasing a lot. Glad to have you.
rScotty

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #46  
On our farm we had a 1981 JD 510 backhoe, we bought it used in 1987. I would spend several weeks cleanng drainage ditches each year. I would grease it once a week except for the bucket fittings, thoses I did each day. I quit farming in 1995 but kept it for use around my home. Pins are still as tight as new.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #47  
My dewalt doesn’t have that ability but I see no use for it. Some pins are squirting out with 2 pumps and some pins take 10 pumps. What’s so hard about holding down the trigger until you have the amount of grease you want?

I didn’t say I bought the Milwaukee for all of the extra stuff. Someone with a Dewalt said the Milwaukee didn’t have variable settings and I was just answering with a clarification. I bought the Milwaukee because I have mostly Milwaukee tools and therefore lots of batteries. I am sure the Dewalt is a great tool as well.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #48  
At the shop we always kept several different hand lever-actuated grease guns loaded with different greases.
Having several grease guns ready to choose from is still good for using different greases for different purposes - or if there is a variety of zerk types to deal with.

It might just be my imagination, but manual guns give a "feel" for how the joint is taking grease that I don't get from the powered ones.

The powered ones do have one advantage. Now that cordelss guns are popular, there are good quality used manual grease guns at used tool shops for a pittance. Those good manual guns used to be expensive.

Say, where do you keep your grease guns & kit? Has anyone come up with a better system than guns in one 5 gallon plastic pail, & cartridges, gloves, & rags in another.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #49  
why would a manufacturer include a grease zerk if it was not necessary to grease a given machine, backyard or commercial use? don't understand the question

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #50  
why would a manufacturer include a grease zerk if it was not necessary to grease a given machine, backyard or commercial use? don't understand the question
Because people are lazy and want to expend the minimum amount of effort to get barely acceptable results.