Diesel Running Backwards

/ Diesel Running Backwards #41  
Years ago had a JD 70D that was trying to move at too low an engine speed and just as it died pulled the clutch the engine kept running --- Interesting as the oil bath air cleaner was now blowing oil out the grille.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #42  
I had it happen to the 3406B Cat engine in my Freightliner.
It'll get your attention Inca hurt when black smoke comes out the intake

/ Diesel Running Backwards #43  
One of the more significant updates to Deere 720 and 820 diesels around 1957 when the "black dash" tractors came out was a different camshaft profile that all but eliminated the unwanted habit they had of running backwards when lugged to a near stall.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #44  
So I discovered something I was unaware of and just wondered if this was common knowledge. When using my logging winch, and bogging it down to the point of almost stalling, the engine would start running very oddly. After shutting it down I noticed the cable was unwound and tangled inside the winch. This happened twice before I discovered why. Apparently the engine under stalling conditions can start to run backwards, taking air in from from the exhaust and exhausting through the air intake, not a good condition for the engine. And in the process running my winch backwards and tangling up the cable. Anyway, now I'm more careful about how I run it with the winch. So is this common knowledge that I somehow previously just missed?
My 1320 will also run in reverse for maybe 30 seconds.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #45  
So I discovered something I was unaware of and just wondered if this was common knowledge. When using my logging winch, and bogging it down to the point of almost stalling, the engine would start running very oddly. After shutting it down I noticed the cable was unwound and tangled inside the winch. This happened twice before I discovered why. Apparently the engine under stalling conditions can start to run backwards, taking air in from from the exhaust and exhausting through the air intake, not a good condition for the engine. And in the process running my winch backwards and tangling up the cable. Anyway, now I'm more careful about how I run it with the winch. So is this common knowledge that I somehow previously just missed?
Single cylinder model airplane engines would do that all the time. The ones you turn over by hand.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #46  
Never happened to me with anything on wheels but my 2 stroke chainsaw would run backwards on starting and you don’t really notice until you try cutting.... that’s when it got a little dangerous!

/ Diesel Running Backwards #47  
I remember recently seeing a classic tractor TV show where an old single cylinder diesel tractor was designed to be stall-bumped into running the other way for reverse.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #48  
Detroit Engine??? Detroit's are designed to be able to run in either direction and can under some circumstance do so.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #49  
To save money I’ll let my tractor engine run backwards for 8 hours as it pulls CO2 out of the air through the exhaust stack and refills the tank with diesel by the end of the day! It can’t be bad for the tractor cause the hour meter says it’s getting newer and newer!
….say, anybody want to buy a bridge?
Good luck on that!

/ Diesel Running Backwards #50  
As a young man I raced motocross professionally. We had large crowds at pro events. I provided some excellent entertainment one day when I fell in alarge mudpuddle. People were getting a good laugh about me covered with mud!. I started my bike up and dumped the clutch to find out it started backwards. My bike pushed me back through the mud and I crashed again totally inundated in the mud.
The fans were all laughing hysterically.

I've never had it happen on a diesel but on that 2-stroke bike it ran perfectly!
Why shouldn't it run just fine? all that is required that the piston go up and down.