Crusher Run VS Stone Question

/ Crusher Run VS Stone Question #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I have a trail with number 2 gray stones. they don't make a mess (which is what I like about them) but have to be refreshed/replaced about once a year due to the slopes and small hills and run-off. I assume Crusher Run will hold better, last longer and be smoother, BUT I'm worried that Crusher Run will create dust in dry weather and wet grit in the wet weather and will become a problem and something I'll regret due to getting all over my equipment and my shop from pulling tractor and movers in and out (make a mess). Any advise?

/ Crusher Run VS Stone Question #2  
Add fines where you want compaction and a durable hard surface. Keep a runway of the #2 near the shop and on the flats to clean off the tires etc.

/ Crusher Run VS Stone Question #3  
What size is the crusher run? It's not all the same.

I use limestone screenings for driveways and parking lots. Yes, they make a mess. You track them into buildings, porches and the house. It's still the best material in my opinion. Nicest to groom and nicest to drive on. I freak out when I see a 3/4" stone lying around on the driveway.

I had some 2" washed gravel brought in for a base in an area that was getting washed out. I curse that stuff as it seems to end up everywhere.

/ Crusher Run VS Stone Question #4  
Our local quarry appears to mine granite. For what it's worth, someone told me that the small particles in crusher run will wash away on hills. This could be wrong and other types of crusher run could behave differently.

/ Crusher Run VS Stone Question #5  
Crusher run will pack down like concrete

/ Crusher Run VS Stone Question #6  
Every time it rains you will lose some fines...fines are required for compaction...
crowning or pitching a lane is the best way to preserve a surface...i.e., on hills, getting storm runoff to cross the lane rather than run down the lane...

/ Crusher Run VS Stone Question #7  
Crusher run is the lowest cost processed stone. You'll get everything from fines all the way up to 3-4" rocks. The reason is that the product has not been graded and sized which is why it's so cheap. It's great for the base coarse to a road project because it has enough fines to hold the rocks in place, but the rocks are not so large that compaction is hindered. For a top coarse, I would not recommend it. I used it for base on my driveway, but the large rocks made is really difficult to drive over. This past winter the frost came out and I was able to roll over it and then press the rocks down. This got it nice and smooth. For a finished trail, I'd suggest using 1.25" traffic bond, also known as road gravel. This has the fines needed to locate the stones so they don't displace but the rocks are are nice size to drive on. The 1.25" stone also doesn't displace very easily when it rains which will help keep the fines in place. This stuff will pack like concrete and yes, it will be a bit dusty.