RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post

/ RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post #11  
Forgot to mention, I also had low coolant at 22 hrs - overflow tank was almost completely empty. I filled it to the max line and now at 42 hrs the fluid is about a half inch below the max line.
Assuming you didn't run it that hard/hot - there may have been some air in the radiator when you first took delivery.

/ RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post
May I STRONGLY recommend that you get a Fumoto Valve to replace your oil drain plug...since it would be located ABOVE the backhoe subframe, it is perfectly well protected from being impacted or damaged.

Very cool - thanks!

Getting the filters off drove me to a new level of angry - until I got to the axle plugs.
Both were tough for sure. My salesman hooked me up with replacement plugs, so I am set. He said these are commonly sold cheaply at plumbing supply stores as well, but I have not verified.

I also took off the backhoe subframe just to make it easier
I'm going to try the Fumoto valve that coldsteelva suggested - watched some YouTube videos and I like the idea. In the long run, it would be best for RK to have a proper access hole that lines up with the drain.

Getting the hydraulic fluid into the fill hole/area was the biggest pain. Lifting five gallon containers to pour the fluid is just nonsense.
I was looking at a simple transfer pump, like the battery-powered $10 one at Harbor Freight. Lifting 40lb buckets that high and pouring into a funnel made a huge mess for me too, but didn't put it in my notes (didn't want anyone thinking I was a 212lb weakling...)

And as far as the manuals - they just need work.
You, sir, are preaching to the choir on a Sunday morning!

/ RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post #14  
Thanks, markie61, for your detailed post about the 50 hour service. Though my new machine is a Mahindra, there are many things in common.

/ RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post #15  
Hey Markie I like the idea of the drain valve. I just think I’ll wait until the next change to do it.

One thing I’ll say, it could have been much harder. It was new and different which raised the level of difficulty. But overall, not too bad.

Re: RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post - CORRECTED FILTER SKUs

It took me almost 2 months, but I finally collected ALL the filters for my tractor from RK for future servicing. Comparing the maintenance sheet from the RKTractors website, the receipt, the numbers on the filters, the RK stickers on the packaging, and other sources, I noticed mistakes in the SKUs below:
Filters
Engine oil TYM-12915035153 SKU21260378
HST (small, white) TYM-15532302100 SKU212160532
Hydraulic (big, black) TYM-17975152100 (or ending 01) SKU??
They should be:
Engine oil TYM-12915035153 SKU212160370
HST (small, white) TYM-15532302100 SKU212160896
Hydraulic (big, black) TYM-17975152101 SKU212160532

Last edited:
   / RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post #17  
Re: RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post - CORRECTED FILTER SKUs

Thank you for the information!! Made sure I have all the right filters and fluids thanks to this post.

Our first service on our RK55 is due. I was wondering if anyone ordered the Fumoto valve and what part number they ordered?

I was wondering if anyone ordered the Fumoto valve and what part number they ordered?
I did using the selection tool (Yanmar Industrial Engine and the 4TNV type), but it didn't fit; had to return. Perhaps TYM uses a proprietary oil pan. I need to measure the drain plug at next change and order the correct size.

/ RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post #19  

Thank you for the reply. We completed the 50 hour today with minimal issues thanks to your original post. We also agree that the manuals need work. We will try and add some additional things/pics we did to make the service a bit easier.

/ RK55 Hydrostatic 50-hour Service: My first big RK post #20  
Looking for a little guidance - Is there a special tool or method to remove the hydraulic fluid filler plug at the rear of the tractor. Thought I would ask before tearing into it and breaking something. I have never seen anything with that type of head before.

Attachments

• 20200602_205534.jpg
    20200602_205534.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 291