compressed air to prevent pipe freeze

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
My cabin took a big hit when the elec failed during extended sub zero temps. heat lamp under sink works great when there's power, but i lost a tankless water heater & pipes in the aftermath w/o power for many hrs. The supply from the pump house is below cabin, so a purge in extremes would be good.
what is your method of using compressed air to purge lines?

& for those familiar w/elec tankless heaters, w/circuit off, is there any problem with using compressed air to purge the tank through the lines? (& i'm careful to fill tank completely before use again)

Last edited:
   / compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #2  
Low point drains are effective and simple but not all plumbers install them unless you pay extra. If pump is below house opening spigot at or near pump might drain/siphon most water from lines in cabin when all faucets are open. As for using compressed air,buy the adapter at big box or rv dealer and install it on hydrant farthest from pump and drain at lowest place that can be opened.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze
thank you, didn't even know they were avail

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #4  
I made a simple manifold using 1/2" galv....a 'T' and some nipples plus
one reducing bushing to whatever size a Schrader valve is...a 1/2" fm hose bib...
I connect a washing machine hose to the hose bib to blow out lines...
I use a clip on the air chuck so it stays on the Schrader valve...

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #5  
This old house (PBS) demo'ed this, closed off water valves cause this, nowhere for excess pressure to bleed off. If you have a yard hydrant, make a water hose to air hose adaptor. Water pressure usually 60psi. I open water valves and use 100spi air, never hits 100 with valves open. Flush toilets last. After bleeding lines and turning off air, you can close water valves. Toilet valves remain open to bleed off air.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze
my cabin plumb is simple, basically under the sink. sounds like i'll need to install a fitting inline, 3/4 pipe thread or hose thread for adapter? assume compressor psi should be same or lower than normal water pressure?
should have researched this decades ago. main challenge is when there's power outage in the rural area.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #7  
don't forget to either put anti freeze down the drain to keep traps from freezing or blow them out, too.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #8  
They sell pipe to hose thread adapters at home depot.

3CF51118-3312-4841-B96A-856A203F6A9D.jpeg

even easier, For my sprinkler system i placed a standard air quickfitting

C58CB2FF-1208-4F85-8216-C58CBB0F6A33.jpeg

that attaches to my air compressor hose, and places a water rated shut off valve before this fitting.

E83F7CC8-878F-486F-96AB-FDE656EA2C16.jpeg
Every winter i hook air hose onto fitting, set pressure to 60 psi, open valve and drain. Easy peasy.

can do same for house.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #9  
Use a vacuum cleaner to blow the pipes out. No need for any special fittings the end of the vacuum hose will fit right on a tap.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #10  
I have always set our pressure to 45 psi
never had any problems!

big bubba you forgot something?????
where is your generator?????????

You could have a 2K watt generator
and used heat lamps nothing would
have froze under the sink, leave doors
open and have the heat lamp right in
front of the sink or a 1K generator would
work with regular light bulbs just and
idea