Chimney sweep supply

/ Chimney sweep supply #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
I have an 8" flue running something around 20' or so. Does anyone have a decent source for a sweep brush online? The local stores only seem to go up to 6". It has stayed pretty clean from hot fires (and inspection), but it is time to give it a pass or two to keep things happy.
thanks,
Dave

/ Chimney sweep supply #3  
If you are using Metalbestos, get a stiff, fiber brush instead of a wire one. The Wire scratches up the stainless steel.

/ Chimney sweep supply #4  
I have always liked Northline Express.

/ Chimney sweep supply #5  
Been using Woodland direct out of Michigan for my sweep supplies. I highly recommend them.

/ Chimney sweep supply #6  
I would s
I have an 8" flue running something around 20' or so. Does anyone have a decent source for a sweep brush online? The local stores only seem to go up to 6". It has stayed pretty clean from hot fires (and inspection), but it is time to give it a pass or two to keep things happy.
thanks,
Dave
Sure would like to know how your "inspections" help keep the flue clean...

Damn! If I didn't need to carry anything more than a flashlight up on the roof three times a year, that would be great!

;-)

eta

I've got a square flue brush and a 20# scale weight that I use to brush the flue. Dirty work.

About two grocery bags of creosote each time.
It's been that way for 30 years, I can;t see any changes to be made.. We burn for comfort, not to keep the flue clean. ;-)

/ Chimney sweep supply #7  
I would s

Sure would like to know how your "inspections" help keep the flue clean...

Damn! If I didn't need to carry anything more than a flashlight up on the roof three times a year, that would be great!

;-)

eta

I've got a square flue brush and a 20# scale weight that I use to brush the flue. Dirty work.

About two grocery bags of creosote each time.
It's been that way for 30 years, I can;t see any changes to be made.. We burn for comfort, not to keep the flue clean. ;-)
There actually are a few things that can decrease the amount of creosote which build up in the flue from a wood stove.

1) Burn dry seasoned wood. An additional benefit is you will gain more BTU's to heat your house as you are not wasting heat "boiling off the water" of wet wood during the combustion process.

2) Use a newer stove which introduces oxygen at the top of the firebox to aide in the final burn of the "smoke" thus reducing the amount of creosote. Just like burning dry wood this will actually increase the amount of heat you'll get from each log as burning the smoke is additional BTU's.

3) Keep the flue as warm as possible. Meaning a flue which runs up along the outside of a house will be more prone to produce creosote than one which is inside and exits through the roof for only a few feet to be above it.

/ Chimney sweep supply #8  
Also put a flue cleaner up it once a month or so when using it. I can see the tile bare tile of in my flue and it has not been swept for ten years. I pull the fireplace insert and check it every year just to be safe but thclimer is correct and with a little chemical help in the smoke once in a while life is good.

/ Chimney sweep supply #9  
I have brushes from Midwest Hearth. Full line of tools and made in the USA.

Chimney Brushes

I burn very well seasoned wood and occasionally put some creosote sweep powder in the stove. I've never seen any creosote. I just get soft powdery ash.

/ Chimney sweep supply
Thanks guys. Some good options to look into.

And yes the inspection doesn't keep it clean but lets me know it is pretty clean. Nothing more than a little bit of fluffy carbon here and there, no build-up. The fireplace is a Finnish masonry heater so it burns very complete and hot and I only use well seasoned hardwood, mainly oak. The pipe is inside for the first 1/3-1/2 and then enclosed in a chase for all of the run except the very top which helps it stay warmer. Thus why it has stayed so clean.