Oil & Fuel changing hydrostatic drive oil

/ changing hydrostatic drive oil #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have a mower with a hydrostatic drive. The manual says to change the oil every 500hrs. I talked to a dealer and they said they never change the oil just the filter. They also mentioned that they didn't know how you would get the oil out. Is there some trick to gettting the oil out of a hysrostatic drive unit? There are some hose connections that look to be at the lowest point of the system. Couldn't I just take one of those connections off to drain the oil? The manual is no help in this matter. This is a Ferris Procut32 if that helps anyone.

/ changing hydrostatic drive oil #2  
Hy Eric - I grew up very near Rochester - Orleans county.
The best way I found to get the Hydro oil out of my system is to put the mower deck on but not connect the collar correctly. Then get her up in RPMs and hit the PTO. It'll take 2-3 seconds, but once the collar disengages and the shaft comes free, it'll rip a big hole in your hydro oil filter and quickly dump it all in a puddle under your tractor (do this somewhere where you want to kill the grass and you can get a double bang for your buck).

Then go to the dealer and get your replacement filter and 2 gallons of UTF and ask the dealer if they have ever done this. When they laugh at you and call you a nimrod, flip them off and tell them you will never come back.
They will expect you to come back someday, but Alas, the secret is to go to another Kubota Dealer - Preferably in the other direction.
Hope this helps!!!

/ changing hydrostatic drive oil
I have tried equally as stupid things in my life. I was hoping to avoid that this time. I talked to another dealer and he said to disconnect the line leading to the drive units. Hopefully I can get this done this summer.