Chains: What's wrong with V-bar?

/ Chains: What's wrong with V-bar? #11  
Fat Tire - I have used 4 link v-bars for two winters now on my R-4's with no complaints. As you can see from the picture they cross the tread and do not fall in between. Also a sheet or two of OSB will keep your concrete floor looking good! PC050154.JPG

/ Chains: What's wrong with V-bar? #12  
Those are excellent photos for illustrating the difficulties with chains on R1's. chains. Even with the Duo-grip most of the chain is buried. That's one of the primary reasons I went with R4's.

I always have trouble agreeing with the assertion that chains fall into lugs. They most certainly do on top of the tire. On the bottom it is another story. The chain makes first contact with the ground and in soft snow or ground for that matter are always in ground contact. The tire tracks are proof of this.There is only one thing a person must do and that is not put on chains so tightly. I have regular 4 link ladder chains on my R1 rears and they have turned my tractor into a snow beast. I keep them on all the time and these chains always help with traction.