Chains Off?

/ Chains Off? #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Here in Central Illinois I'd like to take my chains off the tractor this weekend but we've had so much rain that the yard is soaked. I have to cross the yard to get from the tractor shed to my driveway so I better wait a little while longer.

When do you take your chains off and where do you live? I can't remember getting any significant snowfall after March here.

Kevin

/ Chains Off? #2  
I have r-1 and 4wd on the JD so as soon as the frost comes out of the ground, the chains come off. The kubota has r-4's and 4wd so once the mud starts drying out a little bit the chains come off. I don't have a date per say and this winter has been so warm to go by a date would be silly.

/ Chains Off? #3  
This is a tough time of year here -- I start getting some situations I don't want chains -- but we get some heavy spring snow. Right now I have the front chains mounted but didn't bother putting the larger rear chains back on. (Running front chains on dirt/gravel, no pavement.) I usually quit chains all together some time in April, it varies every year.

/ Chains Off? #4  
I live in the North East and my chains never come off. The only time I do is if I have a job at my daughters house as they do not like me to mark up their asphalt drive. As I have only gravel and crushed stone here, there is no reason to take them off. They are simple 4 link ladder chains mounted on the rear R1's that even travel well in high gear on the road.

/ Chains Off? #5  
Here in Central Illinois I'd like to take my chains off the tractor this weekend but we've had so much rain that the yard is soaked. I have to cross the yard to get from the tractor shed to my driveway so I better wait a little while longer.

When do you take your chains off and where do you live? I can't remember getting any significant snowfall after March here.

Kevin

I took the chains off several weeks ago. Southwest Missouri..

/ Chains Off? #6  
This winter was one of the mildest we've had in years. The average snowfall per season over the past 30 years in my area is 123.8". This 2015-16 season we've only had 70" and it came a little at a time so I never put the chains on this winter. We do have snow predicted over this coming weekend but the weatherman has already downgraded what they thought we were going to get.

/ Chains Off? #7  
No chains here, but the blower came off and the RFM went on a few weeks ago. Our winter here was a bit disappointing. Mowed one time so far (front 2/3 needed to be evened up a little). Raining here this morning and I hope we get some sun and wind to dry it up enough to mow later today. It's getting pretty shaggy.

/ Chains Off? #8  
Thinking of taking mine off today, there's no more snow, no more frost in the ground and no ice on the water, spring is here, but the weather report say's winter is back Monday, hope it come's back big time and kill all the ticks.

Now taking chains off is one thing, storing them is another, I hang mine on two 12 ft. 3/4" re-bar rods, then I hang them on a swinging shelf bracket outside. I've been using wire to hold them on the side links, but this year today I'll weld some small hooks on the bar to hold the chains, and see if that's better-ish.

/ Chains Off? #9  
Oldpath that's a beautiful setup you have there! Nice job.

/ Chains Off? #10  
I live in W.MA. My chains never went on this year. Normally they come off when the ice on my driveways melt. Mid-March +/-