Chain Guards

/ Chain Guards #41  
It's a lot more chipped from shipping damage and sitting around at the TSC than the pictures show.. I think all the surfaces of the chain and the reflections were playing havoc with the digital camera. Those were the only two shots I took that didn't come out totally blurry.

/ Chain Guards #42  
Thanks, and I tend to agree with the vibrations bit.. Just about when I was done tightening things I thought to myself "Why didn't I loctite all that?".. So maybe I'll take the rear apart and fix that tomorrow before I build the front.. If that doesn't hold it together once I get to use it, I'll have to come up with Plan B.

/ Chain Guards #43  
Just a suggestion.You might want to consider nylon locknuts, even locktite can be affected by vibration.

/ Chain Guards #44  
David

Yes sensational job indeed. I wish I had thought of that when I got ripped off making mine.

Cheers

/ Chain Guards #45  
The finished product..

Just finished the guards off. Ended up loctiting everything, including the already finished rear. :) Also decided to double up the nuts on the bolts that hold the angle iron to the deck in addition. So here's 4 pictures in case anyone is curious.. The front came out even better, I think.

This picture is the front, overall.

Attachments

• 53-153857-DSCN1003.JPG
    53-153857-DSCN1003.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 263
   / Chain Guards #46  
Re: The finished product..

Here's a closer up shot.

Attachments

• 53-153858-DSCN1004.JPG
    53-153858-DSCN1004.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 227
   / Chain Guards #47  

Here's a close up shot of the back side of the guards..

Attachments

• 53-153859-DSCN1005.JPG
    53-153859-DSCN1005.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 210
   / Chain Guards #48  

..and finally, a shot from below. I used 1.25x2.25" angle iron so I'd have more room to mount it to the deck.

Now all I need to do is wait a couple weeks so I can brush hog our new land. :)

Attachments

• 53-153860-DSCN1006.JPG
    53-153860-DSCN1006.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 220
   / Chain Guards

I have the feeling I'm about to ask a dumb question but I can't figure it out, so.... Why are the middle group of chains shorter on the front guard?

/ Chain Guards #50  

<font color=blue>about to ask a dumb question</font color=blue>

Not too dumb./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif The first time I made a chain guard, I made'em all the same length, and as they drug over grass and weeds that pushed them back under the deck, the blades shortened'em for me./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif