Chain Guards

/ Chain Guards #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
In another thread on mowers there has been some discussion about chain guards and their importance for safety. These things seem rather simple yet rather expensive to buy. Has anyone ever successfully made one of their own? Any compelling reasons not to make one? I know they are a saftey feature but it seems that the task they perform would be relatively easy to duplicate.

/ Chain Guards
Re: Chain Guards!!!!!!

Sheesh guys...I've seen 117 replys to posts a lot more mundane than this one!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'd really like to make a set of these. No one has done it before???

/ Chain Guards #3  

Tony -

Didja check out a previous thread titled <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=9536&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post9536>Chain Guards</A>?

/ Chain Guards

Yes I did and thanks for the assist, Harv. That thread was somewhat inconclusive and it was so long ago I hoped with our exponentially growing membership to learn more. Evidently these are not popular items, at least not as a home grown item. That's fine too. Your other post in the mower thread convinced me that I'm flirting with disaster with my bush hog. This gives me a chance to take the lead as chief engineer and post my results, successful/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif or not /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif!

/ Chain Guards #5  

Tony,
Just picked up a JD413 cutter for my 855, no chain guard. Since the last time I ran a freinds bush hog on my machine it threw a rock through the case of the rearend /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif and I had to split the tractor in two to fix it, I'll never do that again. Going to the dealer tomorrow to check on the price of a new chain guard, if it's too much I'll build one of my own. If I do I'll let you know how I made out.

/ Chain Guards

Thanks Doug. I have resigned myself to designing my own too but I suspect you'll beat me to it. Let me know!

/ Chain Guards #7  
<font color=blue>These things seem rather simple yet rather expensive to buy.</font color=blue>

Wow! You aren't kidding. Thought I'd give KK a call to see how much it would cost to put one on my 6' cutter - price quoted: $200!!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Think I'll have to go the "home made" route too...../w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Chain Guards #8  

Tony, I have been planning on making one using bed rails and bulk chain from the store. Just waiting to borrow a friends plasma torch to make the cutout for the chain. I priced everything and the total should come to $43. If I have to wait much longer to borrow I will be pulling out the smoke wrench since we are almost into cutting season.

/ Chain Guards

Bed rails...hmmm. Can you describe in a little more detail what you mean?

/ Chain Guards #10  

<font color=blue>Bed rails</font color=blue>

He must have some on hand. They're just angle iron. I didn't have any on hand, so I had to buy angle iron./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif