Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain
That valve is not detented per the provided description. With out detent you would have to hold the valve shifted to keep chain spinning.
Any recommendations for a detent valve?

I also have one of these for 3/4" hose. I'm thinking it could be used if the operator wanted to control the speed of the chain.

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #104  
Log splitter valves typically have pressure release on the detent and depending on style may shift into opposite direction.

Possibly look at surplus center for directional valve with detent option.

No on using the flow control since it will force all excess oil over relief valve and create a lot of heat. You need a priority flow control with built in relief. This style valve has three ports and unloads excess flow to tank at what ever pressure the work load is. Surplus center would have these also.

This valve seems like it would work. Has a detent in one direction and spring return on the other. I think if it were plumbed so that the main drive had a detent and was in the forward position of digging, it would be good to go. The spring return side could be used to reverse the chain to clear an obstacle or rock, but not held by a detent. Thoughts?

I am also going to need some help in plumbing this set up from the old. I bought a new pump yesterday, 13 spline, SAE B hydraulic pump. I figured to hook it up with tank input as the old pump was, pressure to the spool and then to the motor as it would be for forward and reverse. However, there are hoses in and out for the hydraulic cooler. What side of the pump/spool should they be?

I am thinking this is the diagram to follow, I just don't know where to incorporate the cooling lines.

Attachments

• 1677944627849.png
    1677944627849.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 67
   / Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #108  
R8
what size pump did you order or what the flow be at operating RPM? You need a valve sized to handle the full flow rate. The ”Brand” valve is 8 GPM but appeared to have the correct features. The Walvoil was not detented.

on the cooler it would be in the return line from the directional valve and must be of adequate size to handle the flow. I typically recommend putting them between return filter and reservoir. This keeps dirty oil from clogging the cooler passages. Also recommend cooler by-pass valve for cold oil. Normally around 30 PSI by pass is used for cooler. Simplest is a check valve in parallel with the cooler.

Here is what the specs said on the pump,
  • GPM @ 2000 RPM: From 8.39 to 23.72
I assume that the chain trencher will use a fair amount of oil during use, given that the hydraulic tank is pretty large and the capacity of the system is about 15-20 gallons. I assume it needs a lot of oil to run all the features, but a lot of volume to keep the oil cool.

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #110  
What kind of pump did you purchase or is the 8.4 GPM & the 23.7 liters per minute? Reason for asking is usually flow at an RPM is fixed number for max.

Flow required depends on the hydraulic motor size and desired RPM of that motor.