Carpenter Bees ...

/ Carpenter Bees ... #63  
Got kids or grandkids? Buy em a badminton racket!
In the new horse stable I remember an old guy told me (I'm 70...he was probably 90) to just blow up some brown paper bags and put them up high. They look like hornet nests so carpenter bees leave. So far haven't seen any. Otherwise I use spray for bees, brake clean, whatever is handy.
They even drill pressure treated wood. I took down a shed and they drill up and over as you know.
When I was a kid, we had carpenter bees in the eves of our old English Tudor style house. My father's method of controlling them was to give me and my brother old tennis racquets and pay us 25 cents for each one we whacked. Made a nice supplement to my allowance! 😁

No kids or grandkids around now so until I discovered the traps, I gave the wife a badminton racquet. She would sit on the deck reading a book and whack them as they flew by.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #65  
I sprayed my cedar pergola today. Those bastards got into it, (3) holes, last April. They will have a rude awakening this spring. Mixed it a little hot too. I also have a couple carpenter bee traps I made, places around the house.
I have a cedar sided house and found that if I have a good solid color stain on the cedar, the bees will not touch it. I don't even bother with the traps, I just keep everything important stained.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #66  
I have a cedar sided house and found that if I have a good solid color stain on the cedar, the bees will not touch it. I don't even bother with the traps, I just keep everything important stained.
It was newly stained too. Bastards

/ Carpenter Bees ... #67  
Cedar sided house, heavy dark brown stain. Bees are a problem

/ Carpenter Bees ... #68  
Last year I sprayed wasp spray into all the carpenter bee holes. This week we had some warm weather and the bees started emerging from the holes. They dropped to the ground dead. I have 20-30 of them dead on the driveway in front of the garage.

My hanging mason jar traps also have a handful in each one. I think I am slowly winning the war!

/ Carpenter Bees ... #69  
The bees showed up this week. None on my pergola, but many elsewhere

/ Carpenter Bees ... #70  
I have whacked seven of them in the past three days.

Light wood, dark wood, pine, oak, painted or not....makes no difference to the ones I have here.

I sprayed wd40 into a few holes this AM. And have the racket handy by the door. LOL.